Ride Around Clark County (RACC) May 2nd

Postby Brian C » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:26 am

RACC. Ride Around Clark County.

Saturday May 2nd
Clark College Hanna Hall
1820 Fort Vancouver Way
Vancouver, Washington

Distances of 18, 34, 65 and 100 miles.

Traditionally the season opening century in the greater Portland Metro area.

I’ll be there for my 9th RACC century.

Day of ride registration and course opens at 6:30 AM.
$20.00 pre-registration fee for Non-Vancouver Bike Club members.

http://www.vbc-usa.com/RACC.html.

The 100 mile course offers 4800 feet of elevation gain along with 3-rest stops. Food and the usual water/sports drinks.

The roads are quiet from the first rest stop until you get back Vancouver via Felida, with very nice views of the rolling hills in Northern Clark County. There are numerous rollers and climbs along this course with lengths up to 1-mile and grades up to 7%.

The final 10 miles offer up two short killer climbs on NW 36th (Felida) and NW Bernie Drive(15+%). The metric century riders also have to deal with these climbs.

About 700 cyclists showed up for this ride last year. Early morning riders (6:30AM start) typically have a cool start as temps can range in the upper 30's to early 40's at this early hour. Also be prepared for rain as this has occurred on numerous RACC rides for this time of year

This is a good challenging opening season century to test your legs early.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Ride Around Clark County (RACC) May 2nd

Postby Brian C » Mon May 04, 2009 6:23 am

RACC #9 in the books, rain, wind and anything else that came along.

Despite the rain that stayed with me for the first 60 miles, went away, and then returned for the last 10 miles, the Vancouver Bike Club put on their usual good ride. The rest stops were covered and everyone was in good spirits with lots off food on offer.

Seems the parking lots in the early morning start of 6:30AM for yours truly were quite empty. Maybe folks decided to sleep in and start later.

Quite a decent number of riders did the full century though, as the 45-mile rest stop was full when I rolled in at 10AM. I saw my fair share of riders all along the century course and the final 23 miles from Daybreak Park to the end.

Made me feel good that I was not the only one out on the course dealing with wet roads and wind.

Up next, the Bike for the Health of It Century, in Goldendale.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby Brian C » Sun May 31, 2009 10:08 am

Beautiful bright blue skies and easy winds greeted the 30 or so of us who showed up for this nice ride on Saturday. Views of Mt Hood and Mt Adams abounded througout this ride and the gorges we descended into and climbed out of are beautiful.

The roads were quiet throughout as about 13 of us took on the century challenge.

Light winds worked to your advantage up until Centerville Hwy and then the headwinds kicked in until the ups and down of the gorge foothills. The rollers lasted until you reached the long twisting descent to Lyle. The organizers gave us food coupons and lunch was anything on the menu in a cafe in Lyle. Very nice.

Then on to Klikitat along the Klikitat river and tail winds helped out. By now the temperature was topping out a 90+ degrees and the 5+ mile brutal climb up the Klikitat Gorge with no guradrail and sheer dropoffs hurt.

Once at the top it was tailwinds, some rollers, and heat to the end.

This ride continues to have amazing supprt personnel with countless SAG vehicles roving the course, checking on all the riders status. They even carry water, food, etc...

An end of ride Pasta feed closed out a very nice ride, even in the heat.

I continue to be impressed with the organizers of this ride. They do an amazing job.

Up next, the Pioneer Century
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby Brian C » Sun May 31, 2009 11:48 am

Incorrectly posted.

Should have been posted in the Cycle for the Health of it Thread

Sorry
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C