Strawberry Century. Sat, June 13th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Strawberry Century. Sat, June 13th

Postby Brian C » Mon May 11, 2009 6:52 am

Strawberry Century. Saturday June 13th

Goes off from Lebanon, Oregon. I'll be there for my 6th time with this one. Shorter routes of 75 and 55 and 13 miles are offered.

http://santiamspokes.org/strawberry.html

The first 25+ or so miles takes us to Roaring Rivers State Park. The same park used by the Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour for their rest stop. Quiet roads with virtually no traffic here. Once out of the park we do the 1.9 mile stairstep climb with two sections at 11% on Meridian Road. Then a long downhill to Bellinger Scale Road and on to Waterloo along more quiet roads, with easy rollers and views of the Cascade foothills.

After the Foster Lake reststop we go through Sweethome and hit the one tough climb (about 1/2 mile at 12%) of the course and then its rollers and flats throughout, on roads leading into Brownsville, OR. Nothing really hard.

From rest stop #3 in Brownsville we go home to Lebanon on farm roads running along the I-5 Corridor. Winds are often a factor hear and can make you work at times depending on if they are blowing from the North which they usually are.

Overall a nice course with good rest stops, plenty of food, and good people.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Strawberry Century. Sat, June 13th

Postby Brian C » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:11 am

The Strawberry Century went off without any problems yesterday. The threat of rain in the early morning never occurred and nice cool temperatures prevailed for most of the day with the sun popping in and out by afternnon.

I saw a grand total of 2 cars during the first 22-miles to Rest Stop #1 at Roaring River on smooth roads and quiet views of the surrounding hills. Very nice.

All the rest stops were quite busy as many riders showed up for this one and we even had tail-winds!...for the final 21 miles to Lebanon. A extremely rare event as this section traditionally always has headwinds that fight you all the way. What a nice change.

Up next, The Tour De Blast
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby dimitri » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:21 am

Yes, it was a super ride and couldn't have better weather. It was raining on the drive down from Portland which worried us, but then what a great day and ride! Great route, well-marked, nice rest stops and food, plus a yummy dessert at the end. This will absolutely be on my list for next year.

Thanks to all the organizers of this ride- job WELL DONE!
dimitri

Postby slv0700 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:50 pm

NO WATERMELON RIDE !!! THAT SUCKS !!!
slv0700

Postby MaryB » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Strawberry Century was a beautiful ride.
Fine scenery, little to no traffic, lots of good food.
And the volunteers were really nice people - as an example:
A Grandpa with 5 grandchildren, welcoming him at the finish line, was eating his strawberry treat and one of the volunteers gave each child a small portion of the strawberry shortcake. Smiles all around.
MaryB

Return to Northwest Rides