Must Do Ride

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Must Do Ride

Postby TBob » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:50 pm

I'm heading to Portland first week of August with 3 friends. I'd love to hear any ride that you feel is a must do while we are in Oregon. We'll be there for a week with the sole purpose of riding bikes. Our first goal is road, but mountain for a day or two will also be a goal. Thanks!
TBob

Re: Must Do Ride

Postby riding2live » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:23 pm

Definitely if you're going to be in the area check out the Providence Bridge Ride in Portland. Not sure of date but first part of August I think. It's amazing ( :mrgreen: ) just in the fact that there's around 20000 entries (some walking). It's a madhouse but you get caught up in the mania. :evil: It's really an adventure. One big party. :lol:
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby mytrot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 pm

If you want to "ride" then the Bridge pedal is not the ticket. Too many people to really ride. If you want a mellow bike tour with some killer views of PDX etc it is a great ride.

If you want to venture down the valley the Covered Bridge ride is August 9th. Good route and you get to see some historice bridges.

If you want to ride around the PDX area I recommend the historic highway to Multnomah Falls. Go early the AM to avoid traffic.
mytrot

Postby TBob » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Unfortunately we leave August 9th. One friend will be there to do the Amica Iron Man on the 2nd? We'll have a van to get around and are willing to travel to areas to ride and camp. Crater Lake? Mt Hood? Ride the coast? Seems like everything I see in Oregon is just amazing! We are looking forwad to the trip. Well be renting bikes...to expensive to take on the plane now :-(
TBob

Postby Alex from Eugene » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:28 pm

Well, you would have to come down to Eugene (about 1 1/2 hours on I-5) but on August 1st - 2nd is the Blackberry bRamble put on by our local bike club, GEARS - I'm actually not a member but try to do the century ride which will be on 8/2. I think we're not supposed to post links here but you can look at the cycling calendar sticky under this heading that has a link to GEARS which has a link to the ride.

The century usually goes out on Wolf Creek Rd into the Coast range West of Eugene with some great views and climbs. When you realize there's no more power lines you know you are way out of town. And they serve real food at the lunch stop, everyone gets blackberry pie and ice cream at the finish.

Maybe I'll see you there.
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby Brian C » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:14 am

Try a ride out in the Columbia River Gorge to Multnomah Falls.
Start at the bottom of the Old Historic Columbia River Highway on I-84 and then climb up to Crown Point and stop and enjoy the wide open views of the Gorge.

Then continue down to the falls enjoying all the other falls along the way until you get to Multnomah.

Then turn around and go back.

About 35 to 40 miles (out and back) with views, forests, and waterfalls that are super nice. There is food at Multnomah for refueling for the return trip.

Hope this helps
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby TBob » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks all for the tips and ideas. I can't wait to experience Oregon!
TBob

Postby Alex from Eugene » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Don't want to overload you with ideas but if you're willing to go elsewhere in the state the top 2 must do road rides IMO are:
1) camp at Diamond lake, ride up to Crater Lake NP, around the rim and back down to Diamond Lake. If you're a hammerhead, you can ride around the rim twice. CO has done this one a few times. Maybe drive back to Crater Lake early the next morning, get tickets for the boat ride out to Wizard Island. Caveat: "there are only two seasons at Crater Lake, Winter and August", and it's been known to snow in August.

The mountain bike analog of this ride is to camp at Paulina Lake or East Lake in Newberry Caldera NVM (Central Oregon), get up Paulina Peak on the road, then ride the trail around the caldera rim - I did this only once many years ago, but I think it's still ridable. Riding around Waldo Lake is also a great mtn bike ride, might still be mosquitoes in early August

2) (Road)Ride over McKenzie Pass on highway 242 - can start on the West side at one of the trailhead parking lots, over the pass to Sisters and then back to the car. Uh - on second thought better enquire locally on that one. I remember they are doing a big construction project and plan to have the highway closed most of the summer. I'm hoping that on weekends bikes can poach it with no cars - they had an official no car week 2 years ago and it was great to have only bikes and the occasional backpacker on the highway! This goes from low elevation Western Oregon old growth Douglas fir forest, through a vast treeless lava field complete with WPA built castle-like "Dee Wright Lava Observatory" having great views of the Cascade peaks, then through Central Oregon Ponderosa and Lodgepole forest arriving at intentionally quaint Old-West Sisters, OR as a great breakfast or lunch destination. But be careful on the descent coming back from McKenzie pass - local bicyclists have been injured or killed in crashes there in the recent past.
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Return to Northwest Rides