Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour. Sunday August 9th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour. Sunday August 9th

Postby Brian C » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:27 pm

www.coveredbridgetour.org

I'll be there for my 8th.

This is a nice ride that takes in 5 covered bridges in 101 miles. Shorter options are available with less covered bridges. About 3800 feet of elevation gain but you truly don’t feel it. 4 rest stops with tons of food. Sandwiches at rest stop #3 which is a nice change from typical rest stop food, (50 miles), in Roaring River Park.

The vast majority of this course is basically flat and easy. Some of the roads are also used for other century rides such as the Strawberry Century, and Peach of a Century.

Climbing occurs between rest stop #1 and 2, about 2 miles of climbing at 4 percent with flat sections along the way. Nothing hard. Then there is a short killer climb of 13+ percent just before rest stop #2.

After rest stop #3 (lunch) you have back to back (stair step) 11 percent climbs right out of the park but they are short. Total length for the two climbs is 1.9 miles including the false flat between the two climbs. These are the same climbs used in the Strawberry Century and the same Roaring River rest stop. At about mile 60 or so you have a 1 mile climb at 9 percent prior to coming in to rest stop #3 in Lebanon.

After rest stop #3 you are really done with the climbs. There are some rollers but nothing really hard and of little significance. The last 13 or so miles after rest stop #4 is usually into headwinds that depending on the weather can be hot and strong.

This is a very nice century on very quiet roads. You cross 5 covered bridges. The rest stops are stocked with plenty of food, water, sports drinks.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour. Sunday August 9th

Postby Brian C » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:19 am

Big crowds gathered for the annual Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour on Sunday. Partly cloudy and comfortable temps got us all going nicely and and all in all this was a good ride with many riders choosing to do the full century.

By the time I got to the Lebanon Rest Stop #4 (you had to do the Century course for this rest stop), there were already around 20 to 25 riders who had come and gone from there according to the volunteers.

This ride always delievers and my 9th Covered Bridge is now officially in the books.

Up next, The Vine Ride
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides