Vine Ride, Saturday August 15th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Vine Ride, Saturday August 15th

Postby Brian C » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Goes out of Newburg High School in Newburg, OR.
This is a change which started last year after previously starting at George Fox University for all the other years.

http://www.vineride.com/

I’ll be there for my 7th. A pleasant ride that takes in countless vineyards (I heard about 24 in all) around Yamhill county and other venues. 35, 65 and 100 mile courses.

4 rest stops with food, water, sports drinks and food at the an end which consisted of burgers and related items. I miss the pasta feed.

The century is not hard. Only one major climb over Eola Hills that comes at around 60 or so miles after rest stop #2. A 2 mile climb that starts off at 13+ percent for 1/3 of a mile. Then you make a left and the grade settles in at around 5 to 6 percent for the remaining mile and 2/3rds with a false summit near the top.
A screaming descent with the requisite stop sign at the bottom!

That about it for the hard stuff. There are climbs during miles 32 to about 40 or so but rollers and medium length stuff, all easy. Some rollers between rest stops 3 and 4 and then the last set of short climbs during the final 10 mile stretch into Newburg , and then one short climb up the the roads leading to Newburg High School. Then you are done.

This is a pleasant ride and typically draws lots of cyclists.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Vine Ride, Saturday August 15th

Postby Brian C » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:38 am

Saturdays Vine Ride had some of the nicest coolest weather I've had in the 7 years I've done this ride. Unlike last years heat fest of 98+ degrees, this years ride was cool and even had us wearing arm warmers and light jackets.

The cool cloudy skies and no wind offered up wonderful riding conditions and of course the rest stops had plenty of food and drinks.

The roads were full of cyclists for the last 32-miles as all routes joined up and everyone was in good spirits.

This was a fun ride.

Next up, schedule permitting, The Golden Valley Bike Ride in Goldendale, mid September.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Vine Ride, Saturday August 15th

Postby rick6003 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:24 pm

The Vine Ride was my first Event Ride. I rode the 65 mile loop which was the longest ride i've done so far. With all the rest stops for refuelling and conversation, I found the ride to be thoroughly enjoyable. The waether was great with hardly any wind all day. I will be back for next years.

the Peach Ride is the next one for me.
rick6003

Return to Northwest Rides