Alpine Century - What a nice ride - check it out in 2011

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Alpine Century - What a nice ride - check it out in 2011

Postby HalfBent » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:47 am

124 people braved the hot weather last Saturday (Aug 14) for the Alpine Century (94 miles) or half century and were met with a wonderful, well supported ride on quiet Willamette Valley and Coast Range rural roads. The 5th annual event is a benefit for the Apline Community Center <http://www.alpinecommunity.net/pg23.cfm> and this host team is well seasoned hosting their first bike event with a lunch for the 2006 NW Tandem Rally, and improving the Alpine Century every year since it's innaugual half-century event in 2006.

I rode the century route and the extensive tree canopy in Lobster Valley kept the temperatures quite reasonable. Both rides finished on South Fork Road, adjacent to Alsea Falls, also with a wonderful tree canopy, which really helped on the final climb in the 90F degree heat at 1:30pm...

Kudos for 5 rest stops, friendly volunteers, ham radio equipped SAG support, understandable route marking and map, raffle prizes from local sponsors, fun food (GU energy gel, mini-ClifBars, Gorge Delights Fruit bars, and Hazelnut Hill dry roasted filberts) at the rest stops, and a great finish line meal (meat and veggie pasta salad, fruit salad, fresh bread, raspberry-lemonade and soda).

Opportunites for improvement - while there was sufficient and unique food at the rest stops, more variety between the rest stops and additional fruit and protein choices would be great.

Again, a "well done" to the event hosts, sponsors and volunteers!

I recommend to folks to add this ride to their list for the future.

Joe
Corvallis
HalfBent

Re: Alpine Century - What a nice ride - check it out in 2011

Postby mytrot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Wow, only 124 of us. A lot of people missed a great ride on roads made for the hot weather! Even the last climb in the early afternoon was well shaded and very bearable!

My second year and certainly on the list of not to miss rides! Great route and support and a ride that helps out a small community.

Even my two partners from PDX think it is well worth the drive!

Ed
Albany
mytrot

Postby mytrot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Bumping this up. Another great ride and it is scheduled for 13AUG11. Limited to 150 I think so look into it quick.
Hate to put this up against the Covered Bridge as MVBC does a great job but this is good ride with some great roads and scenery.

ET
mytrot

Postby HalfBent » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Ride both - lots of length options on CBBT and half or full century on Alpine...
HalfBent

Postby dunshay04 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:06 pm

HalfBent wrote:Ride both - lots of length options on CBBT and half or full century on Alpine...

Just got home from spending the weekend down the valley -- did the half century Alpine and the 68 CBBT. Great weekend.
dunshay04

Return to Northwest Rides