Pioneer Century, June 4th 2011

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Pioneer Century, June 4th 2011

Postby Brian C » Sun May 08, 2011 6:39 pm

http://www.pwtc.com/index.php/schedule/ ... r_century/

Goes out of Canby, Oregon fairgrounds.

5 distances of 32, 45, 55, 77 and 100 miles with all routes starting and ending at the Canby Fairgrounds. Do the 55 and 45 miles loops for the full century or you can mix and match depending on how you feel.

$20.00 pre-registration (members), $25.00 (non-members). You can also register on the day of the ride. Includes a full lunch of good fajitas at the Canby Fairgrounds where all routes meet for lunch.

Rest stops on all routes assure you that you won't go hungry or thirsty

4414 feet of climbing for the century, with the vast majority of the climbing on the 55 mile loop and compacted around Molalla and the surrounding hills. You explore the hills via Sawtell Road and its 6+% climb with the rest stop about 2 miles into the climb. Then continue to the summit for about another mile with rollers to the top. From there you encounter more rollers, some short and steep, and then winding downhills, with a few ups, for the next 6 to 8 miles or so until you reach the valley floor.

Once out of the hills its valley roads back to the fairgrounds. Fuel up on fajitas and then go out on the 45-mile loop which explores the valley roads around Champoeg Park, St Paul and surrounding communities. This loop is mostly flat with some minor hills by Champoeg Park and a few more on the return to Canby. Nothing hard. If you did the Monster Cookie Metric Century, this loop takes in similiar roads in that region.

We’ll be there for our 12th time on this pleasant century.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Pioneer Century, June 4th 2011

Postby mytrot » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:58 pm

A great ride albeit a little windy! Many stellar views of Mt. Hood and even caught Jefferson and St. Helens.

Nice to have some warm weather to ride!
mytrot

Postby Brian C » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Well, a hot windy number 12 goes in the books.

This was one windy ride. The winds on the 45-mile course were rough. Coming back from the St Paul rest stop at 2 PM was hard. It seemed no matter where the course turned, you were dealing with 15 to 20+ mph hot headwinds/cross-winds.

Add to that a flat that was caused by my rim table wearing out. Thank you SAG for carrying me to the second rest stop on the 55-mile course and the mechanic who managed to fix my rim tape dilemma with electrical tape and had me back on course to finish/deal with the wind. I can't say enough to SAG and the mechanic. Job well done. I only lost 5 miles so I finished up with 96 instead of 101.

Lots of cyclists for this event turned out.

Up next, The Strawberry Century. Lets hope for easier winds.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby wayneh » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Great day to be on the bike, finally the weather we have been waiting for. While I had hopes to do the century, the winds got the better of me, and my legs called it a day at the end of the 55 mile route. Also doing the Strawberry next weekend, hope for less breezy conditions. Sure was nice to see so much blue sky and awesome views.
wayneh

Return to Northwest Rides