Strawberry Century, June 11th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Strawberry Century, June 11th

Postby Brian C » Wed May 11, 2011 9:34 am

http://www.santiamspokes.org/Strawberry%20Century.htm

Saturday June 11th

Goes off from Lebanon, Oregon. I'll be there going for my 8th time with this one. Shorter routes of 72 and 53 and 13 miles are offered.

The first 25 miles takes us to Roaring Rivers State Park. The same park and along some of the roads used by the Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour for their 50-mile rest stop as well as a few roads used in Salem Bicycles Clubs Peach of a Century in September. A few climbs on Richardson Gap road but nothing hard, and with it being early in the morning the roads are super quiet with virtually no traffic.

Once out of the park we do the 1.9 mile stair step climb with two sections at 11% on Meridian Road. Then a long downhill and a left on Bellinger Scale Road. Two gradual climbs on this road has us then join up with the 53 and 72 mile riders on roads to Waterloo with a few easy rollers and views of the Cascade foothills. There is rest stop at 42 miles, which everyone seems to hit, but only 8 miles later is the rest stop at Foster Lake which has lunch style food and many more fuel options.

After the Foster Lake rest stop we go through Sweet Home and hit the one tough climb (about 3/4 of a mile at 10+%) of the course, and then its rollers and flats throughout, on roads leading into Brownsville (75 miles). There is a small rest stop at around mile 62 that offers up more food and fuel options if needed.

From rest stop #3 in Brownsville we go home to Lebanon on farm roads running along the I-5 Corridor. Winds are often a factor hear and can make you work at times depending on if they are blowing from the North which they usually are.

For the most part the course offers up quiet roads with about 2600+ ft of climbing and 5 rest stops for the century riders.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Strawberry Century, June 11th

Postby mytrot » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 pm

This is another great valley ride that is very well operated. Not too hilly on the 100 and mostly low traffic roads.

And who can turn down strawerry shortcake and ice cream after a ride!

Hope to see you there.

ELT
mytrot

Postby dunshay04 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:46 pm

It was perfect out there today. My first time on this ride and fell in love with it. Very well supported. Will definitely make it an annual ride.
dunshay04

Postby Brian C » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Unlike last weeks wind fest at the Pioneer Century, the weather produced mild temps and low winds and this all made for a very nice ride.

About 700 of us turned out for a good day. Grey puffy clouds gave way blue skies with white clouds and it never really got hot.

I enjoyed the pasta salad at the Foster Lake rest stops and beyond. Very nice addition to standard rest stop food.

Even the winds from Brownsville back to Lebanon were not too bad.

Good job Santiam Spokes for your continued good support of this nice ride.

Up next we spend two weekends in the mountains. We start next Saturday with The Tour De Blast.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby wayneh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:33 pm

My second year on this ride, this time out I did the full century. Weather was great, roads were quiet, and the wildflowers were everywhere. Great country to ride through, this is now one of my favorite out of town rides to look forward to each year. Not to mention the fresh strawberries and ice cream at the finish. :D
wayneh

Return to Northwest Rides