2011 Tour De Blast

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

2011 Tour De Blast

Postby Brian C » Mon May 16, 2011 9:14 am

Saturday June 18th, 2011
Toutle, Washington

Once again we will try for our 12th TDB having missed the last two years due to un-timely illnesses. Go figure

This is my right of passage since I’ve been doing this ride since 1996, before the road to Johnston Ridge was even built.

http://tourdeblast.com/

84 miles and about 8000+ Ft of climbing. Others report 6400 Ft or so depending on who you talk to. An out and back course.

Shorter distances of 33 and 54 miles with less climbing. Basically, since this is an out and back course, you ride/climb as much as you want, and then turn around if you don’t want to go to Johnston Ridge. This is a beautiful ride with spectacular views of Mt Saint Helens and the Washington Cascades. A pure mountain ride al la the French Alps or The Pyrenees’.

4 major climbs await you. A 7.8-mile climb at 6% to Elk Rock , a 5.8-mile climb to Johnston Ridge at 6% topping at 10+% for the last ¾ of a mile or so. Now you turn around, fly down Johnston Ridge with its sweeping turns, then climb for 3-miles at 6% to Coldwater Ridge, and then climb up the backside of Elk Rock at 4 to 5% for 5.8 miles. There are shorter climbs of about ½ to 1 mile at 6% on the way out and back but these are your major challenges.

The climbs are long and the descents are wild and fast. The descent from Elk Rock coming out of the mountains is so long you get tired from being in the drops for so long as well as paying attention to the road.

Be prepared for all types of weather from heat in the 90's to rain, sleet and snow with wind chills in the 20’s. Having seen videos of the past two years along with other ride reports, rain and cold are a must to be prepared for. It can be extreme. I've experienced both ends of the spectrum in the 11-times I've done this ride. You are in the mountains, and the weather can change quickly up there.

There is great sag support on this ride with busses to carry those who opt for support.

Wind also is a factor and typically picks up as the day gets long, resulting in strong headwinds after you come out of the mountains.

3 rest stops with food, etc, an end of ride all you can eat pasta feed, salad, ice cream, and a photographer on the course, mile 3 or so at the beginning, that takes your picture, and then you can purchase it and the end of the ride.

This is a ride that fills up fast with cyclists, and offers up fantastic scenery that will challenge your climbing legs throughout the course.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: 2011 Tour De Blast

Postby Brian C » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Having forgotten my rain jacket, the rain fest that was the Tour De Blast was exactly that.

As a result I cut it short since I was tired of getting soaked and did not make it to Johnston Ridge and back.

So having finally gotten back to the tour after a two year hiatus, I'll have to wait yet another year to complete my ride to Mt Saint Helens.

Despite the rain, it felt good getting back.

Up next, we complete our riding in the high mountains with the Mt Adams Bicycle Ride
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides