2011 Blackberry bRamble. Eugene, OR. August 7

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

2011 Blackberry bRamble. Eugene, OR. August 7

Postby Brian C » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:25 am

http://edu.eugenegears.org/bramble

Sunday August 7 at a new starting location. Hilyard Community Center in Amazon Park, Eugene

I'll be there for my 11th on this very nice ride.

Ride distances of a 100-mile Century, the 62-mile Metric Century, the 39-mile SubCentury, or the 10-20-mile Community Ride

This is a wonderful ride on some super quiet roads that take us out to Kings Estate, Wolf Creek Pass in the coast range and its wonderful views, Fern Ridge Reservoir, and bike trails back to Amazon Park.

Food at three rest stops with sandwiches and pasta salad at rest stop #2. A nice change from the standard rest stop menu.

Climbs include the rough 2 or so mile climb on Lorane Hwy leading out of town at about 4 to 5%.

Rollers and a few short climbs leading out to Lorane after this, nothing really tough.

From rest stop #1 to the beginning of Wolf Creek Pass you are in some thick woods with numerous short climbs, none really too hard except for one steep one, and very twisty ups and downs that keep you on your toes. This is a nice quiet road with virtually zero traffic.

The 3-mile climb up Wolf Creek pass averages 4 to 6% the entire way but levels out slightly for the last 1/2 mile or so. The views from the top are super, with a water stop only, typically at the start of the climb.

The technical descent from the top is wild with some very twisty turns and its fast. From the bottom its a long somewhat false flat road that leads to another long 2-mile descent prior to rest stop #2.

After this there are numerous other little climbs for the remainder of the ride into rest stop 3 but nothing hard or long. There is also a water stop only typically on Poodle Creek Road before you get to rest stop 3.

The views on some of these roads are beautiful taking in the coast range, rolling hills, and lush forests.

All in all I love this century and keep coming back year after year.

This is a winner and is well worth the trip to Eugene.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: 2011 Blackberry bRamble. Eugene, OR. August 7

Postby EZPZ » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:55 am

They changed the starting point, does anyone know where there is parking?
EZPZ

Postby mytrot » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:37 pm

If the route is the same about 20 miles of it is on Day 2 of CO!
mytrot

Postby Brian C » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:21 am

Completed bramble #10 on a cool and nice Sunday in Eugene that finally had the sun come out by the 60/70 mile mark.

The most ever turn out of 500+ riders took part as well.

Lots of food at rest stops 1 and 2 kept everyone fueled up and the cloud cover kept the temps nice climbing up Wolf Creek and beyond.

The food levels at rest stop 3 were limited. Probably because of the large number of riders already through this stop? Not sure.

The detour through the bouncy streets in town with left and rights and road seams, were rough at the end. This had me wondering where the heck I was but many thanks to the course volunteers pointing out which way to go. Very nice touch. Once on the bike trails it was back to Amazon Park on the same trails used in the past only this time past EWWB, we were finishing on the trails instead of starting on them.

All in all a nice day for a 100-mile ride.

Up next, The Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour in Albany, OR.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides