Portland Century. August 21, 2011

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Portland Century. August 21, 2011

Postby Brian C » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:03 pm

http://portlandcentury.com/

August 21, 2011
100, 70 and 33 miles course offered.
5710 feet of climbing for the century course.
5 advertised rest stops for the century course

With the Vine Ride being discontinued after 10 years, we’ve decided to now do the Portland Century

Having never done it, the course takes in countless roads and trails that we’ve ridden over the course of many years of cycling around metro Portland.

Starts and ends at Portland State University in downtown Portland.

According to the organizers the course will take a counter clockwise loop out of Portland, to the hills East of Gresham and return along Marine Drive to Portland. Previous years the course took a clockwise loop.

For the most part the beginning and ending miles of the course are flat along the Springwater Corridor heading out and Marine Drive on the return.

The middle portion of the course offers up extreme climbing along Gordon Creek Road and Ten Eyck Road (climbs of 15+%) as well as climbing up Kitzmiller Road outside of Sandy, a 2+ mile switchback ascent at probably 9 to 10+% the entire way up.

I’ve ridden all of these roads back during the old Torture 10,000 years as well as other rides, and the climbs are hard.

Its been a while since I’ve been out there and I’ve never ridden Gordon Creek and Ten Eyck roads in the direction the course will take us on. I’ve grunted up Kitzmiller Road and the surrounding roads around Sandy, so we shall see. There’s always a first time.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Portland Century. August 21, 2011

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:55 pm

I have done this ride and it is rough. Rough. I consider this my personal nemesis ride. Don't be fooled by the remote-ness of the Bull Run stretch - there are plenty of cars around as you make the grind up those 15% climbs.

I will not do the century any more but will take in the shorter loop this year.

I would say that this ride will try to defeat you harder than any single Cycle Oregon day I have been on in 8 Cycle Oregon rides.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby mytrot » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:04 am

A couple of us do a lot of our CO training on the middle portion of the route. We refer to them as the Roller Coaster Rides. But great training for hills. None really long but all can be challenging. The scenery from Troutdale to Estacada is pretty nice!

Gordon Creek and especially Ten Ecyk (quite steep!) will give you all the hills you can want.

By the time you hit Aimesegger (sp?) your legs will be feeling it!
mytrot

Postby Marble » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Bridget and I have done this three times and love it. Start early so you can have time to eat as well as ride. This century has the best food, coffee and beer of any bike ride ever.
The hills are steep but the most beautiful part of the ride. At times you would never know you are next door to a big city.
Clyde
Marble

Postby Brian C » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:42 am

Completed my first ever Portland Century on Sunday and this was/is one hard ride. Advertised as 5710 feet of climbing this felt like a whole lot more.

Taking in roads used in the old Torture 10,000, the climbing was relentless from mile 35 to mile 70 with so many ups and downs I just kept wondering when the roads were going to level out. It was a pure roller coaster. Combined with the heat by days end when I rolled into PSU at 4PM, it was an adventure.

5 rests tops kept us fueled up and ice at Eagle Fern Park was nice to put in my water bottles. Could have used ice at the last rest stop as now the heat was on.

Somewhere between 2000 and 3000 cyclists turned out for this climbing fest and the rest stops on the century course were full of riders taking on this challenge.

This is one hard ride.

Up next, either the Golden Valley Bike Ride or the Farm-To-Farm Century.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides