2009 Cycle Oregon, where we going?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Postby grin4joy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:46 pm

To further spur on the rumor mill, we have a family friend who has a friend supposedly in the know ( I don't know what that means exactly), but he says 2009 CO will be southern Oregon, dipping onto CA. 8)
grin4joy

Postby BlueBike » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:25 am

I'm guessing the Steens area. We haven't been there since CO 14 and I sure would like to go back!
BlueBike

Postby grin4joy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:07 am

Word on the street has it that the next years course was being driven this week. Look for the vehicles!
grin4joy

Postby Jackson » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:01 pm

They would not be driving CO vehicles on the course until after it is announced. However, if you see a large group of supported riders, that could indicate a possible route.
Jackson

Postby Shifty » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Jackson wrote:They would not be driving CO vehicles on the course until after it is announced. However, if you see a large group of supported riders, that could indicate a possible route.
OK, I think I saw them yesterday leaving Lincoln City.
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

2009 CO Route Revealed

Postby Tender Chunks » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:54 pm

:shock: OK, OK, why do I always have to lay out where next years route is? Huh? Huh? I mean, I called the grain barge ride down the Columbia, which was only canceled and replaced at the last minute. (I liked the part about walking the plank to the blue room barge, at night. Grain Barge Bill was very disappointed, BTW.)

Anyway, this year we gather on Saturday in the little town of Green, Oregon, a few miles SE of Roseburg. Sunday morning we climb a bit and pick up Rt 44 and descend along the beautiful Coquille River, past Myrtle Point, and at Coquille turn towards the coast, ending at Bandon. In a special twist, involving serious arm twisting by the high mucky mucks of CO, we continue a fine old CO tradition of invading golf courses, and we camp on famous Bandon Dunes - the course with the gorse. 81 miles that day.

Monday we get up and ride down the wonderful south Oregon coast on 101, 55 short but hilly miles to Gold Beach, just past where the Rogue River meets the ocean.

Tuesday, we continue down the coast to Crescent City, through some truly amazing country, and into the realm of the mighty coastal redwood forests. 65 manly miles that day.

Wednesday is a layover day for those that want it, but an out and back option route is available, down 101 in Redwood Nat'l Park, Del Norte Coast Redwood State Park, and Prairie Creek Redwood State Park, to the turnaround and lunch at Orick. A memorable day of riding through the timeless, majestic, cathedral forests, while trying to avoid being run over by a Greyhound bus. 78 miles for the full loop.

Thursday we ride a grinding but gorgeous ride back into Oregon, and on to Grants Pass (Grass Pants), up the middle fork of the Smith River, through the Jebediah Smith Redwoods Nat'l Park on Hiway 199. 85 memorable miles.

Friday we peddle through Merlin, Galice and Wolf Creek, following old wagon roads through the striking, dry hills full of oak and madrone and old hippy busses parked next to dome houses that have seen better days, to sleep in Glendale. If you have to ask how far, you should stay home.

Saturday, we head out through Riddle, Myrtle Creek and Dillard, to return to Green and back to our cars that are now up on cinder blocks with missing catalytic converters.

A ride that will live in infamy, and a taste of how nice it would be to do Cycle California, if it only existed. :P
Tender Chunks

Postby SummerBreeze » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:11 pm

That sounds like a great ride, Tender. Let's see, only four months to wait and see if you're right again.
SummerBreeze

Hmmmm----2009 C.O. Route

Postby riding2live » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:47 pm

I talked to some people who knows somebody that knows someone else who is related to another person....... :?:

Anyway, this was my first year at 62 years of age------awesome. Rumors say something to do with Crater Lake, Klammath Falls, Umpqua, Grants Pass, Rogue River, Gold Beach. But that looks kinda like it'd be a one way ride. Be tough to get back to Crater for cars. It's anybody's guess. It's a big state with a lot of great back roads for a mass ride. Looking forward to '09 wherever it may take us. :twisted:

Gene Gene "The Bikin' Machine"
riding2live

2009 route

Postby wayneh » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Gene,

I think Crater Lake is unlikely, as we were just there last year.

I think the most likely spots are either the SE part of the state, maybe repeating some of the 2001 route, or the SW part of the state, involving perhaps part of the coast but not the entire time, and a newly paved road mentioned previously.

You need the right kind of roads, community access, and the means to move all of the equipment and services from place to place, which by definition eliminates some options and favors others. As much as I love the coast, I'm hoping to go back to the Steens Mountain area. That was a great ride. But it's been awhile since we rode to the Pacific, too.

We'll know soon enough in February. Time to start saving up, and hello indoor trainer.

Wayne
wayneh

Where are we goin' in '09

Postby macsdad » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:43 pm

How about we go back to Paisley? Been awhile and that was a great area to ride.
macsdad

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Is it that the route will be 100% where CO has never been or that the rout will pass through a few areas it has never been?

Is it February yet??????

:D
Force 5 Robert

The 2009 Route

Postby wayneh » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:01 pm

After so many years, I don't see how they could put together a route that doesn't repeat at least some part of a previous ride. This year, for example, repeated roads I've done before every day of the route, but it didn't matter, because I love that part of Oregon. I did different things on the options days, like the geology hikes at Wallowa Lake, instead of taking the tram up Mt. Howard, for example, to make it a different experience. And it was interesting to see how I was able to measure my relative progress as a rider by doing routes I had done before (mostly better), when I was younger, and lighter.

Paisley was an interesting starting point. I remember the bus we were on barely made it up over the Blue Mountains, and many still talk about those head winds into Silver Lake. But that was a great ride. I would likely have never gone to that part of Oregon otherwise. Great week.

I think one of the best things CO does is keep the route a secret until the kick-off party. Good marketing.
wayneh

Previous

Return to 2008 Week Ride - September 6-13