The "OMG I WISH I would have brought _____" thread

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

The "OMG I WISH I would have brought _____" thread

Postby Force 5 Robert » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:47 pm

With a mere 6 weeks until we all converge at the 1st nights camp - now is the chance to go through the list... check it twice, three ten times.

Even then, there are those items that once you got to camp for a day or two you realized you should have brought.

What is your item that you forgot before but THIS TIME you will make sure in on your list?

The best news is that we will be in and around plenty of places to buy that small item you forgot, but still.... :D

For me:

Floss
Force 5 Robert

Things I forgot before

Postby SummerBreeze » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:38 pm

This time, I get to bring my hubby!!
SummerBreeze

Postby dunshay04 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:21 pm

Ditto for me on the hubby part, but this year I intentionally get to leave the tent at home because hubby will be driving an RV. :D
dunshay04

Postby davek » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:46 am

"I intentionally get to leave the tent at home because hubby will be driving an RV."

Well that's sure getting down to the spirit of Cycle Oregon, leaving all the comforts of home and getting back to a simpler life in the small communities of rural Oregon. Please make sure you turn the generator off by 10PM... :-(
davek

Well that's sure getting down to the spirit of Cycle Oregon,

Postby SummerBreeze » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:34 am

Ooh, just what we needed - sarcasm!! My rider guest isn't up to sleeping in a tent these days, maybe her's isn't either. I'm just glad my spouse is interested in sharing some of the experience with me, and glad we were able to afford the extra expense of rider guest and camper. Don't worry, you can sleep peaceful, we don't have a generator.
SummerBreeze

Postby Force 5 Robert » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:45 am

Party in the RV!!!!!!!!!

:D :shock:
Force 5 Robert

Postby Jackson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:05 am

The generators as well as the slamming doors for the porta potties are excellent reasons to bring along ear plugs.
Jackson

Postby pumatracker » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:06 am

My hubby is driving the RV (no generator) too and I'm grateful for getting to share the experience with him. He follows the designated driving route and is not my personal sag. If needed, I wouldn't miss the bubble van and the music machine for that. :D

While I'm riding, hubby is visiting and spending a little money in the communities we visit, which is in the Cycle Oregon spirit.

The RV makes me one less person waiting in line in front of you for a shower or the blue rooms. I never slam the blue room doors or trip over your tent at night. :evil: I'm not snoring in the tent next to yours.

Happy adventures and safe riding to all.
pumatracker

Postby Jackson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:24 am

Please thank him for coming, hope you both have a wonderful time.
Jackson

Postby Force 5 Robert » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:24 am

Forgot my earplugs last year......

I can remember last year on one of the nights we pitched camp pretty close to the stage and kitchen area... that night there was quite a bit of noise from the crew messing around with the stage and getting dinner stuff cleared out for the AM crew to do breakfast....

While it was a bit noisy I kind of enjoyed it a bit... good sounds that can only be heard at CO to fall asleep to...
Force 5 Robert

Postby dunshay04 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:20 pm

No generator for us either. Hubby has lower back problems so can't sleep in a tent for too many nights so we rented an RV for the week (money into our local community right there). While I'm riding he will be spending money in the communities we travel through (food, bowling, fishing, gas, etc.). Addititionally, we aren't paying CO the $300 for a guest rider or the $250 they want for food. Instead we contacted local RV parks in every town we're traveling through and made reservations with them (more money directly into communities -- plus he'll have additional comforts with electricity, sewer, water, cable and WiFI in some). In 2004 I remember the guest riders were dry camping in fields and were getting their tanks pumped by the company that serviced the blue rooms. I want hubby to have fun while I'm having fun on the bike so he'll do it again with me. I'm excited to share the experience with him because I want him to get excited about riding. I would like it if he took an interest in riding a bent due to the back problems. This was the only way I could get him out there. Hubby is from John Day and we know there are other riders out there from that small eastern Oregon community and he is looking forward to possibly meeting up with them.
dunshay04

Postby David R » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:35 pm

I've done CO with a RV and I've done it with a tent. Last year I did it in a tent parked next to the RV. Its all good. Never had a problem with a RVer running a generator. Have suffered from Sign crew lighting up my tent at 3:30am with their car lights, been keept up all night because the kitchen Generator was located up wind of the tent camping. Had even had a few bad nights from the super zipper blue door banger, but, its all good cause I just got up the next morning and pedaled into a new day.

Nothing will be perfect but its all good in the end.

Ps. I sleep with earplugs and earmuffs now and I never heard the train last year, you know, the one that was 100' form the RV camp area in Oak Ridge.
David R

Chemical Hand and Toe Warmers

Postby Red Zinger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:13 pm

Um, gently moving back to the topic...on several Cycle Oregon tours, I wished I had brought chemical hand and toe warmers for those 20-degree early mornings. This year we have some to bring! Early mornings can be really cold in that part of Oregon!
Red Zinger
Red Zinger

Postby davek » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:09 am

Second that Red Zinger! I used them last year for the first time and they were great. Popped a couple in the sleeping bag at nite and snuggled up to them for additional warmth. Then in the morning you put them in the back pockets of your jersey for a little early morning comfort. About the first water stop of the day you toss them in the trash, very nice.
davek

Re: Chemical Hand and Toe Warmers

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:18 am

Red Zinger wrote:Um, gently moving back to the topic...on several Cycle Oregon tours, I wished I had brought chemical hand and toe warmers for those 20-degree early mornings. This year we have some to bring! Early mornings can be really cold in that part of Oregon!

Ooooo very nice!! That reminds me to pick up some of these myself! :D

last year on a few mornings I used these under my toes with my sandals and had cozy feet all AM.
Force 5 Robert

Next

Return to 2008 Week Ride - September 6-13