The "OMG I WISH I would have brought _____" thread

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: The "OMG I WISH I would have brought _____" th

Postby bogiesan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:41 am

I like to bring my shower brush. Forgot it last few.

david boise ID
RTFM
bogiesan

Thank heavens, for moist wipes.

Postby belcomps » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:39 am

Buy a cannister of moist wipes (there are multiple brand names). Pull out about half of them and divide them into a few zip-lock baggies: one for tent, one for the bike, etc. They are especially a godsend to have on your person when the water runs out at the hand wash stations in the middle of the night, or [ oh mon dieu! ] when there is no toilet paper in your private salle de bains bleue.
belcomps

Postby All about downhills » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:23 pm

Buy a cannister of moist wipes (there are multiple brand names). Pull out about half of them and divide them into a few zip-lock baggies: one for tent, one for the bike, etc. They are especially a godsend to have on your person when the water runs out at the hand wash stations in the middle of the night, or [ oh mon dieu! ] when there is no toilet paper in your private salle de bains bleue.

You can buy these individually wrapped. I've carried 'wet ones' for years in single packs. They come in boxes of 50 or whatever. Work great.
All about downhills

Wet ones

Postby SummerBreeze » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:12 pm

They also come in a travel size that I fold and keep in my seat bag -- I go nowhere with out one, great for tire change clean ups and sweaty faces.

AND - last time I was camping out in Eastern Oregon, I was very glad I had a couple of space blankets--one over me and one under--when I discovered my sleeping bag was way over-rated for the temperature drop at night and there were only so many layers I coult put on and still fit in it. Brrr
SummerBreeze

Postby Randy C » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:12 pm

davek wrote:Second that Red Zinger! I used them last year for the first time and they were great. Popped a couple in the sleeping bag at nite and snuggled up to them for additional warmth. Then in the morning you put them in the back pockets of your jersey for a little early morning comfort. About the first water stop of the day you toss them in the trash, very nice.

Sorry, but I have a hard time just throwing chemicals into the trash. There is an old saying "warm the core, and the extremities will take care of themselves". So get that vest, good socks, beanie and gloves on before you leave the tent in the morning and you will be fine. The hardest part is keeping the fingers warm on the bike early in the morning with wind chill. Pearl Izumi makes nice glove with fingers and a yellow ripstop cover that can be pulled over the fingers effectively making a mitten. A little spendy but much less than all those chemical warmers.
Randy C

Postby Red Zinger » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:32 pm

Well, maybe the "chemical" hand and foot warmers aren't too bad. The ones we have are from The Conservation Alliance and here are the ingredients: iron, water, cellulose, activated carbon, and salt. The package says, "Grabber Hand Warmers are a non-toxic, environmentally friendly, odorless heat source using all natural ingredients that are non-combustible."

The small plastic wrappers they come in might be the worst thing! I'll have to investigate disposal/recycling possibilities.
Red Zinger
Red Zinger

Postby Oroluk Lagoon » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:00 pm

I took the advice above and bought some of the hand and toe warmers. I found that a hand warmer in the middle pocket of the back of the jersey, and one toe warmer on the back of each HAND in my full fingered gloves really made a wonderful difference, especially since I typically started early before the sun was up. Thanks to Red Zinger, et al.
2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert
1978 Raleigh Professional
2006 Trek 4300A
Dahon Mariner 26
Dahon Classic Stainless 16
Oroluk Lagoon

Postby beachdog » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:57 pm

I wish I would have brought MREs to make up for all the meals that were inedible.
beachdog

Postby Lazlo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:18 am

I wish I would have brought a couple of extra tent stakes and some line to stake up my bike like the smart people. Also a better chair.
Lazlo

Postby David R » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:07 am

bike gallery had tent stakes and line
David R

Postby Lazlo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 am

Damn! I didn't even check.
Lazlo

Postby slv0700 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:31 pm

what was not eatable ???????
slv0700

Postby beachdog » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 am

powdered eggs, powdered egg omletes, unsalted hot cereal, soggy breakfast potatoes, cold stale bagels and dinner rolls, wilted salad greens, black label salad dressing, rubber chicken, wild rice paste, burnt vegetables, rubber vegetables, pasty/grainy tortellini, petrified salmon, that nasty over sweet-slimy-apple filling in the pancakes, gummy red potatoes, flour-slurry "gravy" with fake "sausage" bits, frozen cake, artifically sweetened canned whipped cream... But that's just off the top of my head.

And it wasn't just me.
beachdog

Postby Steve from Beavercreek » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:40 am

Man..I'm wondering if we were on the same ride. I was full every day and enjoyed about 95% of the food. I was usually at the meals in the miiddle of the pack. It fully met my expectations.
Steve from Beavercreek

Postby Lazlo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:55 am

Beach Dog, you have unrealistic standards. While I will agree that, as others have pointed out, it was not gourmet food, it was not as bad as you portray. Perhaps you should bring your personal chef next time.
Lazlo

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Week Ride - September 6-13