The "OMG I WISH I would have brought _____" thread

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Postby dougnlis » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks for getting the topic away from regrets at not bringing the personal chef.

Any other contributions about what was a surprisingly good idea to bring or something you wish had been brought?
Steel is Real
dougnlis

Postby Oroluk Lagoon » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:22 pm

I came across an old polyester balaclava as I was packing that I don't think I had ever worn maybe more than once before. But after using it the second morning, I used it every morning from then on. It kept both my face and head warm and took up little space in my jersey pockets when I didn't need it anymore.
Oroluk Lagoon

Site Maps etc

Postby wayneh » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:02 pm

Kudos to CO for posting site maps on the web site. I had these with me on the ride, and each night reviewed the next location, so had a chance to pre-think where I wanted to pitch my tent and where to look for the baggage trucks. I also stocked my handlebar bag each night with $1 bills, so for once had the sherpa bucks ready at the reach. I also bring my own chain lube, and used it after each days' ride to clean and lube the chain and rear derailleur wheels. 5 minutes of maintenance paid off in a trouble-free ride.

Also, since I drove to Elgin from Portland, left a change of clothes and a clean towel in the car for when we finished on Saturday. And sure glad the Rexall drug store in Union carried ear plugs, as I forgot to throw those in when I packed.
wayneh

Postby beachdog » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:42 am

Sorry, just can't go through life without functioning taste buds. For those who though the food was yummy - it was what it was. Sorry if my suggestions were inappropriate.

As a first time rider, should I do this again I would not pack so many clothes because it was so easy to do laundry. I packed what was recommended on the CO packing list and I found that to be too much. Plus, in a pinch I could have replaced almost anything at the CO stores. I was glad that I brought a small bottle of liquid laundry detergent because it seemed to wash out of the clothes quicker than the powder.

I also brought an extra tire, tubes, CO2 cartridges, lube, etc. I would leave anything that didn't fit in my underseat bag at home for the reasons above.

I swore I could do without a chair, I really must figure out a way to fit one in or buy a bigger bag.

I was really glad that I brought a roll of two-ply soft TP. The ample stuff in the blue rooms got a little rough toward the end of the week.
beachdog

Postby aktiv » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:57 pm

beachdog wrote:I swore I could do without a chair, I really must figure out a way to fit one in or buy a bigger bag.

Agreed - probably the smartest thing we did in 2007 was to get the smallest chairs (that still had backs) that could be collapsed, and three of the biggest duffel bags that we could find. Chairs are close to essential.

Cheers

Keith.
aktiv

Postby Don Bolton » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:40 pm

Yeah an old Indian came into the trading post for his monthly supply run and that included toilet paper. He was amendment with the clerk however that it not be like the "John Wayne" TP they had last month.

The clerk was perplexed and had the Indian explain what he meant...

"It rough like John Wayne", "It tough like John Wayne", "It no take crap off Indian"...

I believe CO uses that same brand :twisted:

Having several rolls of Campers TP (to restock the dispenserl) and a dispenser allows an easy pocket fit and available supply even if the local chapter of the Blue Meanie breakfast depository is without supply.

Don "That'll learn ya Pilgrim" Bolton
beachdog wrote:Sorry, just can't go through life without functioning taste buds. For those who though the food was yummy - it was what it was. Sorry if my suggestions were inappropriate.

I was really glad that I brought a roll of two-ply soft TP. The ample stuff in the blue rooms got a little rough toward the end of the week.
Don Bolton

Postby Red Zinger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:23 pm

<chuckle>. But "amendment"? :? Oh, "adamant." :wink:
Red Zinger
Red Zinger

Postby Tender Chunks » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:30 pm

Don is such a silly boy!

Regarding food (OTHER end of the alimentary canal) I think of CO food as survival stuff. If I get into camp too late, I can eat this, and I won't die of starvation, ditto in morning. The last few years, I go really easy on breakfast, and eat more at ODS stops - I like riding on a not-full stomach. However, for example, this year, in Baker City my son and I went to a local Mexican place (I went to local dive bar and asked who had best Mexican in town), and had INCREDIBLE feed. The night we rode into Wallowa Lake, we drove into Joseph and had another great tying on of the feedbag, with help from Don Bolt-on. Next morning, my son and I did breakfast in Joseph at the locals' place - furthest away (north) from the shuttle bus drop off. (Home made sweetrolls as big as a sunflower, everything made from scratch). Last day of CO, I stopped in Wallowa and had a great all American breakfast with gallons of coffee, and talked with crusty old Oregonians and watched the CO masses ride by to have early lunch in the cold air.

The local dining episodes are some of the penultimate CO experiences I have - talking with local old timers, schmoozing, getting invited to come back and visit with them. I think of the CO provided meals as sort of pretty good Purina Human Chow. If you want the deluxo grub, go do some business with the locals. They'll appreciate the business, and you'll enjoy the experience!! 8)
Last edited by Tender Chunks on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tender Chunks

Postby Don Bolton » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:05 pm

Umm. Yep spell checker, in a hurry... Caught me :shock:

Don "then there is the one about the Indian and the ventriloquist" Bolton

Red Zinger wrote:<chuckle>. But "amendment"? :? Oh, "adamant." :wink:
Don Bolton

Postby beachdog » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:36 am

Don's post from another thread reminded me. Must bring a travel mug to have any chance of keeping coffee hot in the morning.
beachdog

Previous

Return to 2008 Week Ride - September 6-13