LuxuryLite Cots for sale at CO

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

LuxuryLite Cots for sale at CO

Postby Tender Chunks » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:43 pm

Folks,
I am happy to report that after successful negotiations with CO and Bruce Warren, owner of LuxuryLite - a Texas based mom and pop manufacturer of ultralight, ultra-clever backpacking equipment, my son (with occasional help from popster) will be selling LuxuryLite cots, matching Cool Mat pads and Pillow Pads, during CO. We will be set up in a large tent at each camp next to the CO Rider Services and retail area, where you can "test nap" on one. (One hour limit!) Sales will benefit the Cycle Oregon Fund. LuxuryLite cots will sell for $229, with about 20% of that going to the Fund. Note that this price is less than when you buy directly from LuxuryLite after you pay the extra for shipping! So you save money, benefit the Fund, and you get the best sleeping aid since the beer punch card! No more blowing up the bulky air mattress. No more having your Thermarest or air mattress deflate in the middle of the night!

We will have a good supply of cots and accessories, and can show you how to set them up and take them down. Set up takes about 3 minutes. The cots weigh about 2.5#, and pack in a 4" diameter x 16" stuff sack. The deucedly clever design means you sleep off the ground, with no pressure points, and no cross bars at ends to keep you from using the full length. I have used mine for 3 years, and I can honestly say that if I didn't have one, I wouldn't be doing Cycle Oregon. You can sleep on your back or on your side, without bottoming out. I weigh about 240#, 6' tall, and sleep as comfortably as I do on my mattress at home that cost as much as some cars. (OK, well not quite...) With the optional Cool Mat pad, which anchors to the feet of the cot, you have a sleep system that is as good as it gets, and takes up about as much space as a liter soda bottle. Same great warranty as when you buy direct. Will also have some different cot feet options allowing heavier weights or more stability on uneven surfaces, or if you toss and turn a lot.

If you wish to preview these cots, go to www.luxurylite.com We will NOT be set up on the last day (Saturday), so come on in early on and pick one up before we run out. We can take cash or plastic. See you there!
Last edited by Tender Chunks on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tender Chunks

Postby bookishbiker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:28 am

Wow.. you guys are brilliant! I wish I'd known about this ahead of time, I'd have saved shipping AND sales tax (stupid California).

Oh well... I can assure anyone vaguely interested that these cots are pretty spiffy. I did a demo at a party last weekend and my friends were QUITE impressed. (or.. easily amused?)

beth
bookishbiker

Postby Force 5 Robert » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:38 pm

SWEET!

I just received my pad.... this will be my 3rd CO using the cot, my 1st with the dreamy pad...

Besides my investment in CO trips - this cot is some of the best money I have spent on any camping/hiking/cycling gear in my life. Hands down.

:)
Force 5 Robert

Replacement Parts?

Postby Red Zinger » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:12 pm

Hey, this is good news! We have two of the cots, and they are indeed as comfortable as everyone else has reported. You no longer have to worry about the occasional rock, stick, or pine cone under your tent.

However, ours haven't worn well, although we haven't used them extensively. The fabric has torn, in the openings where the feet go, and I've broken at least one of the plastic feet. Is there any chance that replacement components will be available for purchase, separately from the entire package, perhaps at a discounted rate?
Red Zinger
Red Zinger

Postby Brettha » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Call Bruce Warren at Luxurylite and tell him! You may have to return the old parts to him but he has a lifetime warranty on his products.
Brettha

Cot repairs

Postby Tender Chunks » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:52 pm

Red,
I'm not the factory rep, but we will have extra "trusses" (the two round thingamabobs & aluminum rod jobberdos that goes between) for sale. Why don't you come by and bring one of yours, and we'll see if they fit. I emailed Bruce, and he clarifies that all warranty work should be done through him.

Do you have the clear lexan round items, or later gray or black nylon ones? I have the clear ones (from 3 years ago). He says they sometimes break - mine haven't but I can see how they might. Also, until I learned about how the fabric where the trusses clip in is sensitive to scraping and cutting, particularly when set up and under a lot of tension, I tore it a bit. I now know how things work, and haven't done any more damage - none of which affects how the cot functions at all. In any event, per his website, unless you were attacked by a bear, or ran over it with your ATV, or spilled gasoline on it, he has a great return/repair policy.

I should note that, as truly ultralight backpacking items, these cots may sacrifice a little durability or excess beefiness to provide great comfort at very little weight and minimal packed up size. I wouldn't expect a rowdy teenager to take care of them, but once you see how they work, and assuming you exercise reasonable caution in understanding certain things (like not stepping or kneeling on the side rods between the trusses, or otherwise abusing them), I would expect them to give a lifetime of service. Think of them like a pair of glasses - with a little care, they will give decades of service. I have tents and sleeping bags and backpacking camp stoves and other items that are 30 years old, (and a Thermarest that has never leaked or failed in 26 years) and they are in good shape, despite heavy but careful outdoor use. If anything DOES happen, Bruce has a very generous repair policy. I suspect he does this in lieu of advertising, which is, of course, the best sort of advertising.

Gordon (TC)
Last edited by Tender Chunks on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tender Chunks

Great news about the LL cots

Postby wayneh » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:45 am

TC,

This is great. After reading all the testamonials about these, I'm definitely stopping by to check them out and see how they work. The ol'
bod doesn't take to sleeping on the ground after riding all day like it used to.

Thanks for pulling this off.
wayneh

Cot questions for Tender Chunks

Postby IbisRider » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:46 pm

I bought a cot last year but ended up not using it when I canceled. I had problems when I tried to set it up and use it in my home on a rug. I immediately broke a foot (which the company replaced) when I shifted my weight and tore the fabric near one of the holes.

When I called up the company I was told that I might have to put the cot underneath my tent floor in order to use it to avoid the weight shift problem (the feet grab better on the ground). I do not want to have to put this thing under my tent floor in order to use it. In fact, I will not do so and will use my thermarest instead. Is putting the cot under the tent floor necessary?

I also do not have any sort of mat to put under my sleeping bag between it and the cot. Do I need one to avoid getting cold at night? If so, I will consider the dedicated mat that you are selling. But I am wondering how I can get the mat compact enough to get in my bag. I have enough room to fit an old Thermarest Camprest for all the cot gear which I would be taking in lieu of the thermarest.

I take it that there alternatives to the dedicated mat. What are they and how effective are they?

Thanks,
Glenn
Do I need to get one or more space blankets?
IbisRider

Re: Cot questions for Tender Chunks

Postby Don Bolton » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Get a bag you can roll up that exhales the air inside and the cot mat compresses nicely. _www.packmate.com don't remember if I use large or medium.

I've had mine 2 years and not ever set it under the tent. I suspect you may have had a foot with a defect that gave way under stress.

Without the mat its comfort...With the mat its luxury.

Make sure the feet are centered in the holes so the edges of the cutouts are not side contacting the fabric and you should be fine. I had a rip start on each side at the same place my first year of use. It stopped the tear at the first cross rip threading.

I added "patching" using adhesive backed ripstop tent patching pieces cause looking at the tears bugged me and the tears have not gotten bigger and I don't have to look at them.

I also bought back when they had more fragile clear plastic feet and was told if one broke to put it at your foot end of the mat till you got done with the tour.

As an ex cross country motorcycle racer I've learned a few crucial spares can save lots of hours of anguish. I got what was then an "overload kit" which was 2 extra pole assemblies with feet (4). Although these will pack with the base mat in its bag I store them separately in my main bag so I only have to work through a proper set up kit when I use the mat but have spares available should I tank something.

Take a little care in assembly to ensure the feet are centered in the mounting openings, that the cross pole is seated in the foot completely, and that the side poles are properly seated within each other and it should *ROCK*.

I was a little concerned about the tears my first tour out but with proper set up they are a non issue.

You say the tear is near one of the holes. Its not a tear from the hole? Could this have been from a non seated side pole overlap cutting the fabric?

Don "best nights sleep in a tent ever" Bolton

IbisRider wrote:I bought a cot last year but ended up not using it when I canceled. I had problems when I tried to set it up and use it in my home on a rug. I immediately broke a foot (which the company replaced) when I shifted my weight and tore the fabric near one of the holes.

When I called up the company I was told that I might have to put the cot underneath my tent floor in order to use it to avoid the weight shift problem (the feet grab better on the ground). I do not want to have to put this thing under my tent floor in order to use it. In fact, I will not do so and will use my thermarest instead. Is putting the cot under the tent floor necessary?

I also do not have any sort of mat to put under my sleeping bag between it and the cot. Do I need one to avoid getting cold at night? If so, I will consider the dedicated mat that you are selling. But I am wondering how I can get the mat compact enough to get in my bag. I have enough room to fit an old Thermarest Camprest for all the cot gear which I would be taking in lieu of the thermarest.

I take it that there alternatives to the dedicated mat. What are they and how effective are they?

Thanks,
Glenn
Do I need to get one or more space blankets?
Don Bolton

Postby Tender Chunks » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Ibis -
While there are some good reasons to put the cot under the tent, as Bruce suggests, I also have never done so. I just plop it down on top of the bottom of the tent. I have a few minor tears which are completely due to me being a bone head, and in no way affect the performance of the cot.

The CoolMat option is great. I have one also. It is bulky when lightly folded and put in its largish bag, but by the time I cram it into some crevice in my smallish duffle bag, it is reduced to much less volume than my Thermarest. My first year with the cot, I brought the CoolMat and a Thermarest. Not the second year - the CoolMat was all I wanted/needed. I am bringing 5 of the Cool Mats, and 40 cots, plus some other accessories (extra feet, bows, etc.). I expect to sell out of the mats. (5 was all he could spare on short notice that we had.) A Thermarest on top of the cot would still be great, and even if it deflated it would still be a big improvement over sleeping on a deflated Thermarest on the ground.

With any cot, as with an inflated air mattress, there is some issue of cool air underneath you. In practice, however, I find that with the cot on top of the tent bottom, the tent bottom sort of rides up and largely closes off the gap between cot and bottom. In the 3 years I've used my cot, I've woken to ice on the tent and bike a number of times, but haven't had any issues of getting cold on the cot.

When I arrive at camp, one of the first things I do is set up the cot and stretch out for 15 minutes of prone luxuriating, before packing up stuff to hit the showers. Sitting in a chair after a day on the bike is nice, but dozing off on the comfy cot borders on hedonism. :P

My son will be staffing ye olde LuxuryLite tent, located next to Rider Services and CO retail. I will be with him on and off, and will help to answer questions. Cash and VISA accepted! (Checks subject to CO's policies.)
Tender Chunks

Sleeping set up ant the LL cots

Postby wayneh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:06 pm

I've tried a variety of different set ups on past CO's. Thermarest, then an Aerolite inflateable mattress, last year a Big Agnes blow-up mattress. This year, I bought a Big Agnes 30 degree bag which has a sleeve on the bottom for their air mattress. If I buy the cot I'm just going to plop this new set-up down and hopefully settle into blissful relaxation and comfortable sleep. As I get older, comfort definitely rises in importance, so I am looking forward to checking this out.
wayneh

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Ohhhhhh I am looking forward to trying out my pad on the cot... might have to try it here at home before the trip - though the wife might think that a bit strange....

:D
Force 5 Robert

Postby tim walton » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:59 pm

So my son just took my Thermarest off to Portland, to college. He needed a place to sleep til he can get a bed for his apartment.
So I need a new sleep system.
I'm thinking this looks pretty good.
I'm rolling into camp Saturday Sept 6, probably. Will you be there set up and ready to sell me one so I can sleep on it Sat night?
PS: I'd like the cot and pad, please.
Can we hook up off forum?
tim walton
boise, id
tim walton

Postby Tender Chunks » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:25 pm

I'm hoping to leave Eugene Saturday around 7am, and first order of business on arriving is to get signed up for CO, unload bike and get my gear to the tent. Son has to do same as a vendor, and I'll make sure he gets squared away as this is his first trip to CO. Then we will set up for sales; I presume we should be able to be up and running by 3pm or so. So yes, you should be able to sleep in comfort Saturday night.
Tender Chunks

Postby tim walton » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:50 am

tenderchunks
Would you email me at timwalton2000 at hotmail dot com?
tim walton
boise, id
tim walton

Next

Return to 2008 Week Ride - September 6-13