LuxuryLite Cots for sale at CO

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Space Blankets

Postby IbisRider » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Tender and others:

Do I need to get one or more space blankets to put under the mat and over the cot when it gets cold?

Glenn
IbisRider

Re: Space Blankets

Postby Force 5 Robert » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:15 pm

IbisRider wrote:Tender and others:

Do I need to get one or more space blankets to put under the mat and over the cot when it gets cold?

Glenn

Unless you have a mega lightweight sleeping bag or freeze easily. I do not think this is necessary at all.
Force 5 Robert

Postby Tender Chunks » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Please don't come by my tent at 3 am and tell me otherwise, but as a rule, if it is raining and windy, the temp will be above freezing. If it is below freezing, it is likely to be pretty still. Inside a tent, with any sort of resonable pad on top of the cot, I'd be very surprised if you were cold. If so, just take another pull on the hip flask. No, actually, you could spread a few tshirts or other insulative material (like one of the free Oregonian newspapers) below you. However, I'd be really surprised if this was a problem. You should be bringing at least a 3 season sleeping bag, and a vest or jacket you can use as ultimate fallback keep-from-freezing insurance.

Elsewhere on this forum I have suggested bringing a set of Capilene or similar long underwear, which is something of an insurance policy against really cold weather. CO has seen weather in the teens, so it can happen. However, this time of year, it is highly unlikely we would see very cold temps combined with a wind, aka blizzard conditions. The bedrock idea that anyone who goes camping this time of year keeps in mind is that if you put all of your clothes on (multi layers), you would be warm enough to survive. If it was truly bitter cold, you could go sit in the shower trucks. No one is going to freeze.

A reflective space blanket, given that the foil ones take up very little space (as much as a pack of cards), is a decent insurance policy item - if you were really cold, you could spread it over you. However, please understand, this is not much of an issue about sleeping on a LuxuryLite cot - it is more related to basic fall/winter camping 101. I always bring a down vest (quite "poofy") which is really nice on cold mornings; also, pile pants, gloves, a head warmer (skull cap type). If it was really a serious butt-freezer, I would (as I have once or twice on CO), get up at 2am and up the layerage, ie put on another tshirt, maybe wool socks, and hug my teddy bear a little harder.

I've also done midwinter snow camping while XC skiing around Crater Lake in January. You do some of the same things, only more so. But here you really don't have to plan for being stuck in your tent in a 3 day snow storm, with below zero temps. Currently, it looks like we'll have warmish days, cold nights, cool mornings, and - cool ridings.
Tender Chunks

Postby Tender Chunks » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 pm

8 boxes arrived today, with all the LuxuryLite goodies inside. We have 20 "PillowPads" for sale. We deployed one of these and they are indeed very light, quite comfortable as pillows or cushions, and roll up into a small cylinder about the size of a pop can. Seemingly indestructible - you can sit or stand on them. You can blow them up as much as needed, they have foam padding both sides. Work well as pillow for sleeping, or for under knees, or lumbar support whilst sitting on a chair. They'll be on display.

Also, for folks with old Luxury Lite cots with either the clear or gray truss feet, we have replacement black alloy feet that are more durable, and have some added features that are worth looking at.
Tender Chunks

pads for LL cots

Postby valapple » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:51 pm

I'm confused, I have a new (never used ) LL cot and I thought I could avoid the Thermarest I usually lug to CO clear across the USA. I have a 20 degree sleeping bag, do I need the thermarest ( or cool pad) to stay warm on cold nights ? Chances of scoring a pad are slim to none it appears ! Advice is appreciated :)
valapple

Postby Tender Chunks » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:11 pm

Au contraire!! I have 5 CoolMats, which is the foam mat made to go with the cot. I have one spoken for by another CO rider, assuming it gets picked up (after forkage over of Yanqui dollars, of course) on Saturday. I'd be a little surprised if it is a full on feeding fenzy on Saturday, given people arriving and finding tents and all that. I'm shooting to be open for sales 3 - 6pm.

I'm sure a Thermarest on the cot would be plenty of insulation below you. Given that there isn't a lot of air movement going on in your tent at night, and that your weight on the fabric sags it down to where it probably is mostly in light contact with the tent bottom (assuming it is riding up on grass), it is unlikely there would be big convective loops bringing cool air under you.

In the case of a big honking inflatable mattress, the air in the mattress itself is sufficiently free to circulate within that it sets up convection and carries body heat away. In either case a pad of some sort is a good idea, but in my experience, the LL cot is likely to have less air movement under it. I find that the closed cell foam mats, even when only 1/4" or 3/8" thick, have really good insulative quality.

If you want to leave the Thermarest at home, come by Saturday and you should be good. Worse case, you could grab some copies of the Oregonian newspaper that are always around and lay them on the cot. Newspapers and cardboard are good insulators, widely used by people sleeping on the streets.

In answer to your question, most sleeping bags are designed on the presumption you'll have some kind of insulating pad or mat under you. I recall one really cold, clear night on CO where it got well down in the teens where I woke up a little cold. I put on a layer of Capilene long underwear, and spread a few cotton T shirts out over the CoolMat pad, got back into my flannel sleeping bag liner and ancient down bag and was snug as a bug in a rug the rest of the night.
Tender Chunks

pad Karma

Postby valapple » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:25 pm

You are a peach TC, we met last yr in the campground, I spotted your ride with the license plate. If you recall it had something to do with me parking a bike at a tree near our campsite at the state park. You were a hoot and I was so happy to put a face to the post. I think you did some very honorable deed for me. If you can help with the pad I'd appreciate it way so much . I will be arriving by bus on Sat. Valapple@yahoo.com If I don't get a pad I guess I will go green with the Oregonian beneath me :) In any event. there is a cold beer on me for you in the garden !
valapple

Postby Ross » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:11 am

I caution potential buyers of the LuxuryLite cot to try one out before purchasing. I bought one this year for use on camping bike trips and used it for 5 days on Bike Virginia.

I was hoping to have a more comfortable sleeping situation than I was getting using a Thermarest mattress, especailly after reading the glowing recommendations on this forum as well as elsewhere.

I was very disappointed with the LuxuryLite cot. I never got a good nights sleep in the 5 nights that I slept on it. The cot support is not very firm and you are constrained by the small size. I am 5' 10" and weight 150 pounds but I felt like the cot was sagging too much. I even used all of the cross bars that came with the LuxuryLite, but that was still insufficient to provide a base that was firm enough for me.

The cot is narrow and has two aluminum tubes along the long edges that feel restrictive. I am a side sleeper and like to extend my knees and arms away from my body while sleeping. This was quite uncomfortable with the LuxuryLite due to the hard tubes running the length of the cot that would interfere with my preferred sleeping position.

There was too much pressure for comfort where my arms and legs would hang over the edge of the cot. It was too constraining for me to sleep comfortably with my body entirely between the narrow side rails. I was also using two layers of a fleece blanket and a sheet on top of the cot for padding but that was insufficient to make the bars comfortable.

The cot also takes some time and effort to set up and take down every day and is not nearly as easy to manage as a self-inflating mattress like the Thermarest.

Potential users should evaluate their sleeping position and determine if it is compatible with the constraints that the LuxuryLite cot provides before paying the substantial price for this cot.
Ross

Postby Tender Chunks » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:12 pm

Gentle readers -
Down at 1 LuxuryLite Plaza (that would be next door to the Cycle Oregon retail set up & Rider Services at each camp) we will have a cot set up, in a walk-in sized tent, so those interested can try before they buy, and see if the cots jive with your particular sleeping style. We can also demo set up. Very few good things in life come without effort. I figure that people willing to ride 60 - 100 miles on a bike can handle 3-4 minutes to set up a cot, if it enhances their sleep experience. But - you be the judge. If it no workee for you - no buyee.
Tender Chunks

Poetry and bikes

Postby wayneh » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:47 pm

Well,

I can't compete with TC's poetry, and I appreciate the affection recumbent riders have for their rigs. However, I love my traditional road bikes, love the view, etc. and love the way they cruise down the road.
wayneh

Postby Tender Chunks » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:36 pm

Last thing,
CO has confirmed that we can accept checks for LuxuryLite purchases, so can do the big 3 - cash, check and credit card.

See you there.
Gordon "Tender Chunks" from Eugene

(FYI - Tender Chunks is the name of an obscure brand of dog food.)
Tender Chunks

Postby SummerBreeze » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm so very glad you clarified that for us!

(FYI - Tender Chunks is the name of an obscure brand of dog food.)[/quote]
SummerBreeze

Postby Don Bolton » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:17 am

There was a time when Tender Chunks dog food had as much commercial air time as the Alka Seltzer commercials "Mona", and the Madge "you're soaking in it" Palmolive spots.

Only obscure now as the brand was dropped eventually. Or perhaps is the secret ingredient in those burritos I crave so much. ARF!

Don "but Gordon keeps its banner held high" Bolton

Tender Chunks wrote:Last thing,
CO has confirmed that we can accept checks for LuxuryLite purchases, so can do the big 3 - cash, check and credit card.

See you there.
Gordon "Tender Chunks" from Eugene

(FYI - Tender Chunks is the name of an obscure brand of dog food.)
Don Bolton

Tender

Postby suziqt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:58 pm

Tender, have a beer for me!!!

Suzi QT
suziqt

Postby Tender Chunks » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:21 am

Folks,
I just wanted to say thank you to all my fellow riders who came by the LuxuryLite cot tent we had next to the Cycle Oregon retail store at each camp. It was a lot of fun for me to talk to even more people than usual on a CO, and it provided an opportunity for my son Morgan to join me in camp. It was particularly nice to have people on the ride tell me how well they slept on their new cot. For all you who took the plunge, thank you. We raised about $1250 for the Cycle Oregon Foundation.

Morgan really enjoyed himself, and is talking about trying to ride CO next year. I know he struck up conversations with a lot of riders - thank you all for making him feel so welcome.

Negotiations are on going, but it is possible we may be at the kickoff event, and maybe again next CO, again to raise money for CO. If my son rides, maybe I can get my wife to "man the tent"!
Tender Chunks

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Week Ride - September 6-13