Bummer, no dog tag this year

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Bummer, no dog tag this year

Postby bogiesan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Bring back the dog tags!
I'm trying not to sound ungrateful, I wasn't expecting anything after I heard the dog tags had been discontinued and, heck, I earned that finish line swag. But, c'mon, Cycle Oregon, at least you could have silkscreened the CO logo on that silly string backpack and given it a hint of class.

david boise ID
RTFM
bogiesan

Dog Tags

Postby wayneh » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Bogiesan,

Unless I'm mistaken, CO issues dog tags when we finish a century day. None this year, so no dog tags. I already have a Nike bag with the CO logo, so it was actually nice to get one without it in case I want to gift it to someone else who doesn't do the ride. I actually liike the compass/clip key chain that came with the bag. Something different.

I still have all of the freebies from previous rides, they're all good, especially the dog tags.
wayneh

Postby dunshay04 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:40 pm

I agree. The t-shirts we got when we registered didn't even include what towns we camped at. The bag has nothing to commemorate Cycle Oregon. I did purchase t-shirts in downtown Joseph and again in Eligin at the finish from third-parties. The sizing of the t-shirts that CO was selling at their trailer were off so nothing fit. I really like wearing the long sleeved shirt I got at the finish line in 2004. Too bad we didn't have anything like that again this year.
dunshay04

Re: Dog Tags

Postby bogiesan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:43 am

wayneh wrote:Bogiesan,
Unless I'm mistaken, CO issues dog tags when we finish a century day. None this year, so no dog tags.

Ah, that might explain it but I heard a different story; should have asked a more reputable source. I have 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006. I do not think each of those had 100 milers but I do not have the maps.

However, if they merely indicated a CO that included a century or century option, the dog tags would have no value at all, not even as a memento of the event, since everyone got one whether they rode the century or not.

The cool thing about the dog tags is they're unique. I don't know of another event that issues them.

david boise ID
RTFM
bogiesan

Re: Bummer, no dog tag this year

Postby DWM » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:15 am

bogiesan wrote:Bring back the dog tags!
I'm trying not to sound ungrateful, I wasn't expecting anything after I heard the dog tags had been discontinued and, heck, I earned that finish line swag. But, c'mon, Cycle Oregon, at least you could have silkscreened the CO logo on that silly string backpack and given it a hint of class.

david boise ID

On the last morning pack up on Sept 13 I'm looking at my gear thinking what could I cut out next year. The day pack I brought was a bit on the large side, hard to roll up in my duffle bag etc. So I cross the finish line and I'm given a small, foldable day pack (in red, my favourite colour) that will be perfect next time for a change of clothes to the showers, bringing back purchases from town, carrying my camera and personal effects etc.

Thanks CO, a perfect gift item for me!

See you Sept 2009!

DWM
Langley BC
DWM

Return to 2008 Week Ride - September 6-13