Geology Talks a Welcome Addition

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Geology Talks a Welcome Addition

Postby wayneh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:40 pm

I thought the addition of the geology talks from Ellen Morris Bishop were a great asset to this year's ride. I reviewed the notes each night about the next day's geological features to look for, and got a lot more out of the ride. Granted this part of Oregon has lots to look for. I have her most recent book, In Search of Ancient Oregon - I highly recommend it to anyone inteterested in appreciating Oregon's geological diversity. On Day 1, I stopped at the sunflower field and took a picture of Mt Emily in the background. I would not have even thought twice about it without her notes about what to look for on the day's ride.

On the layover day in Wallowa Lake, I did 2 hikes. The first was with Dr. Bishop on the west moraine. Great photo ops after hiking up to the top, and a great way to stretch the backs of the legs. She explains in a very accessible manner. After cruising into Joseph for lunch, I rode back out for the cultural walk put on by Tim from the National Park Service and Rich from the Nez Perce. I came away with a much greater appreciation of the area, of the Nez Perce, and the recent efforts to restore the native sockeye run to the lake. And also how complicated change can be with all of the various government agencies and private parties involved. All in all, a great rewarding day, even if I didn't ride down to Hell's Canyon (did that in 1999 and 2003).

Thanks to Dr. Bishop and to CO for making this part of the ride. I've been to the paleo lands institute website to check out more, and will probably take advantage of one of their curriculum offerings as schedule allows.

Postby mathowie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:01 pm

I agree. My riding partner is a geomorphologist (more about how soil forms from rocks than simply rocks) and we loved reading the geology notes to look forward to spotting on each day's ride. My buddy spotted a lot of interesting stuff, but the notes in each morning's cycle oregonian were a great jumping off point.

Postby Oroluk Lagoon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Yes, my regret was that I was only able to catch 2 of the talks. Some were too early if you took the extra mileage options.

Geology signs on the course would be a nice addtion; e.g. "Columnar basalt formations on ridge, right."

This was an unexpected bonus and I hope it continues with future COs.
Oroluk Lagoon

Return to 2008 Week Ride - September 6-13