Distances and Inclines

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Distances and Inclines

Postby Just Play » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:19 pm

We are considering joining Cycle Weekend 2008. We have never participated in anything like this and are very much novice bike riders. We currently ride short distances a few times each week - something like 5 + miles, most along level streets.

We know how to camp, enjoy great food, nice people and live entertainment. This part we got down. What we are not so certain about is the actually riding. So our questions is, exactly what sort of route options are offered at Cycle Weekend 2008? We need to understand more specifically about inclines and distances.
Just Play

Postby leisure1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:32 pm

I can help some. I do the maps for CO and know the roads in the Astoria area well. Most of the routes are dead flat. In fact it is so flat I’m not sure if it is worth making a profile… But I’m sure there will be some to follow. If you have a family there are options that would be good for kids too.
Ok – the only bumps are the Astoria Bridge over to Washington and back – and if you take the longest option on the other day there is a 200 foot hill on the back road to Seaside. I think there will also be an option to the Astoria Column which is a pretty serious climb. Nice thing about options is you don't have to do them.
If you train such that you can do 20 mile rides you will do fine. Of course the more you train – the better you will do and the more fun you will have.
The great thing about a loop ride is that you don’t have to worry about setting up camp at the end – it is there waiting for you. So you can ride at your pace, take pictures, etc….
leisure1

Postby Just Play » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:50 am

Thank you for detailed reply. This information is very helpful. 20 miles flat would be no problem right now. I started my training today so I should be in a decent position to enjoy some of the options by August.

When will the routes be available to review?
Just Play

Postby Force 5 Robert » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:47 pm

This is very helpoful, as I had been considering going with my 9 year old daughter and having her ride her own bike.

Thanks!
:)
Force 5 Robert

Return to 2008 Weekend Ride - August 1-3