Weekend Ride with 7-Year-Old

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Weekend Ride with 7-Year-Old

Postby bradc » Wed May 14, 2008 3:00 pm

Our family of 4 has signed up for the weekend ride, that being my wife, 13-year-old son, 7-year-old son (will be at end of May), and myself. We are looking for options that will work for my youngest, who's probably a few years from being reliably ready for riding distances solo, though he's a good rider.

We have seen the tandem bikes that Bike Friday sells (even saw one on Craigslist a couple months ago), but we're really not looking to spend that kind of money. I've looked into the piggy-back bikes, but I'm concerned that he's heavy/big for one, though he's of average size for his age. I have seen 2-wheeled piggy-back trailer bikes that are rated for heavier loads, but cost is an issue. I'm pretty sure that renting a tandem isn't possible, especially one that would need the additional crank extension.

Does anyone have experience with taking 7-year-olds on longer bike rides? Perhaps he could do the longer trip solo with a good bike, but that seems like a big gamble from our current standpoint (perhaps with training rides, we would find that he could do the main ride up into Washington).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
bradc

Postby Jackson » Wed May 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Has he tried the tag a long set up or is he too big? This set up clamps to the adults seat post and comes with single speed or geared options to allow the rider pedaling options. Cost for these are around $100 new.
Jackson

Postby bradc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:06 pm

This concludes this post: We purchased a used tandem and a stoker crank adapter that clamps an extra bottom bracket to the seat tube, both off craigslist. The adapter (kiddie crank) sits high enough to allow him to peddle, and links to the stoker's bottom bracket with an extra chain and sprocket. This setup works wonderfully. My younger son and I have already ridden 45 miles since Sunday. It also allows my older son and I to do training for the week ride on the evenings/weekends when Mom works and my younger son is under my care.
bradc

Return to 2008 Weekend Ride - August 1-3