Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Postby 123Adventure » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:18 pm

Last edited by 123Adventure on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.
123Adventure

Re: Possible Tent Option

Postby Cathy M » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:47 pm

How much are you charging?
Cathy M

Postby Jackson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:29 am

$250 total for 1 person in a tent.
$300 total for 2 people in a tent.
Jackson

Postby Tender Chunks » Sat May 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Folks,
Is this do it yourself tent and porter options still available? I usually sign up the first night, and have been doing tent and porter (this year will be my 8th CO, starting 2001). Let me know if you still have a slot available.

thanks!
Gordon from Eugene
Tender Chunks

Postby pdxjelli » Wed May 27, 2009 5:10 pm

I may be interested in this option. How does this compare with what they normally charge for tent & porter service (for 1 person)? I'd still need to bring sleeping bag & mattress or cot, but it includes a chair. Probably a nicer tent than the ones they use, I'd guess, and would you set it up in a certain designated place?
pdxjelli

Postby Alex from Eugene » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:22 am

Jeff isn't checking the forum regularly, so you should either call him or send him a PM. I am signed up with his lads and it does sound deluxe.
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby bikingwithjt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:20 am

I might be interested in this. I have never rode CO before so I don't know what to expect.
Could you let me know a little more about the benefits of this arangement?
Thanks.
bikingwithjt

Postby Alex from Eugene » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:31 am

Caveat here - I haven't done the week long ride since 2001 and that was before the T&P service was introduced. I have read many pertinent posts on this forum trying to decide whether to go again, and have friends who do the ride regularly.

The old school way: I would wake up to the sound of a thousand people so eager to get on the road they are breaking their tents down and packing their dufflebags in total darkness. Then I would wait in line for blue room (outhouse), wait in line for breakfast, brush my teeth, shave, etc, then pack up my tent which usually was damp to soaking from dew or the odd overnight thunderstorm, back it in my gear bag, take it to the trucks to load it and get on the road at a civilized hour like 8 AM. These mornings were my "least favorite" part of CO and a big part of why I have stayed away from the Sept ride for 8 years. When I tried that strategy with my family on the CO weekend in 2006 in Oakland OR we were the LAST riders left in camp :oops: except for the guy who ran the espresso stand and he was a hammerhead. The trucks had left and Ingrid had to take our dufflebags in her support van. This was at 8 AM !(It did get to 105 F that afternoon so people were even more interested in leaving early. A lot of them wound up walking or sagging anyway :( ).

When you get to the new camp location in the afternoon, you have to find your bag amongst the rows of them laid out by the trucks, lug it or pay a HS kid to take it to wherever you can find to pitch your tent, maybe your friends get there first and save you a spot or vice versa. There is an art to finding a good spot - close enough to the blue rooms but not so close that you hear the doors slamming all night. Not on low ground in case it rains. Not next to the refrigerated truck for the kitchens that runs a generator all night, etc, etc.

The T&P service, as I understand it, sets up rows of numbered tents *right* :shock: next to each other (actually sharing tent stakes) and places your bag in your assigned tent. You don't have to set up or take down the tent - good. You don't get a choice in the tent location or who is sleeping in the tent right next to you - bad.

This year, after T&P filled up, Jeff cleared it with the organizers to have his son and son's buddy do their own smaller scale T&P service. I suggest you contact him soon if you're interested.

Cheers! you will love it no matter how you camp, see you on the road in September
Alex from Eugene
Alex from Eugene

Postby 123Adventure » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Everything went GREAT.
Jeff & Vitaly (our college crew) kept everything running smooth
Thanks to Jim, Alex, Aidan, Robert, Janie, Sally, John & Art for being
the best group anyone could wish for.
"Camp Soaras" was the place to be.
123Adventure

Postby Alex from Eugene » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:52 pm

Shhhh!

Yes, it was wonderful! WAY better than regular T&P, a million thanks to Jeff, Stephanie, Jeffrey and Vitaliy, and even us campers. It was definitely the royal treatment. :mrgreen: And as far as I know, none of us got the "Jefferson Two-Step" :shock: plague.

OK, it's fine to give it a plug as long as returning riders can get a reserved spot. Once the secret's out..... :wink:

I sent out links to the campers for my Snapfish album with way too many unedited and uncaptioned photos. I will try to clean the album up as time permits. If I missed someone who wants to see them, PM me with your email address.

The marine layer is back and the smoky air in the Southern Willamette valley from the forest fires is clearing out, time to get back on the saddle!
Alex from Eugene
Alex from Eugene

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19