An extra week in Oregon...how would you best use it?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

An extra week in Oregon...how would you best use it?

Postby mcmoonter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:10 pm

This is my second CO. Last year following CO I managed to do some mountainbiking and BOB touring around Bend / Oakridge and Eugene. I hope to spend a few days mountainbiking around Bend again this year, but I'll have a few extra days.

I'll still have my camping/hiking gear but I'll only have a lightweight road bike, so my options are a little limited. I'm sure if it (the bike)were a liability I could leave it a left luggage somewhere or mail it back to my departure point. I dont know Oregon that well, but would like a few pointers as to what would be worthwhile seeing. I'm a Scottish artist, with an interest in big landscapes and small towns. It would be helpful if places were reachable by public transport.

What'cha got?

MC
mcmoonter

Re: An extra week in Oregon...how would you best use it?

Postby capthawk » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:43 pm

I would go on the prettiest (and challenging) bike ride on the planet---up and around Crater lake!!!
It's always sunny at 35,000 ft
capthawk

Postby Shifty » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:51 am

If the weather holds up you could go to the Oregon coast to ride road AND mountain bike. It can be spectacular weather for cycling on the coast in late September. Mountain biking isn't as good technically as it is in the Cascades, but the forests and trails are beautiful!
Near Florence, OR

Another idea would be to go up into Washington and ride from I-5 up to Mt St Helens and back. It's about 75 - 80 mile ride, uphill to the Johnson visitor center, then a fun downhill back. Beautiful road, wide shoulder and the mountains are very nice. You can also combine with a trip into Mt Rainier National Park, riding or hiking there is also nice. Many mountain bike trails just south of Mt Rainier, outside the park boundary.

Enjoy!
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Postby Tender Chunks » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Aye, a Scottish lad, looking for a taste of Oregon green. The public transportation thing is a consideration. I would be happy to give you a lift back to Eugene after CO, and who knows, maybe even a place to lay your head (and do your laundry) for a nite. From Eugene you can take the bus up to a jumpoff point for the Aufderheide Hiway, a gorgeous ride that shouldn't be missed. There is some possibility of logistical support from my wife and I, as in pick you up and help you take in the local big landscapes. A bit depends on if you are looking specifically to ride your bike hither and yon, or also tour around by other means. There are many wonderful small towns in the mid and south Willamette Valley, lots of history. Lane County has more covered bridges than any county in the country. Knowing where you are flying out from might also suggest some options for putting together something interesting. What sort of artist are you - and do you want to meet other artists, or have a chance to do whatever your do? Feel free to PM me, we are always willing to extend kindness to strangers.
Tender Chunks

Postby mcmoonter » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:05 am

Thanks guys, I've attached a couple of gallery links to show you some of my paintings. Sadly they have no illustrations of my landsape pictures and I've no idea of how to post them on here. My name is Peter McLaren if the links dont work, look for the gallery artists link.

http://www.scottish-gallery.co.uk/pages ... tegoryID=2

http://www.thompsonsgallery.com/Maryleb ... rtistID=70

I bought a return bus ticket to Portland in the belief that ongoing transportation would be easier from there. I love the covered bridges tour, and fancy some mountainbiking, however I'd need to be near somewhere I could rent a bike from.

I'd like to see Washington and Mt St Helens. My only knowledge of the place is based on TV reports and documentaries on the eruption.

I fly back from San Franciso on the third of October, so could wend my way South and try and pick up a train or bus to take me the last leg.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Peter
mcmoonter

Postby casualbik » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:46 pm

From Portland you can take the train to Longview / Kelso and ride to St. Helens easy for a day trip and the train back. You can also do the same from Salem and ride the covered bridges in the valley. September will bring the Grape harvest in the Willamette Valley and that is a nice ride from Portland on any day.

There are so many options the only thing you won't have is enough time for all the scenery.

Ask around while in camp and you will have plenty of options from the gracious people who call Oregon home.
casualbik

Postby riding2live » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:19 pm

McMoonter,
If you'll need to rent a bike and are going to be located anywhere in the Portland area check in with the Bike Gallery people. They will be all over the place on Cycle Oregon and will probably even work on your road bike at some point during the week.

Happy pedalin' during your post C.O. touring. Follow the Willamette Bike Trail down to Eugene on your road bike and you can stay the night. Arrange to box it up here and ship it home. The next day you could hop a flight out of Eugene that goes direct to SF and you could catch your flight home.

Gene "I'm just a little bit Welsh" Jones
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby mcmoonter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks folks, the trip up to Mt St Helens sounds great. I hope to borrow a trailer, which I hope will fit my frame, and take a spin up there. I took a train trip last year which mostly retraced the route I'd ridden up from Oakridge to Eugene. The train was an experience, but not a patch on riding. I'd also like to ride into Kelso. There's a Kelso in the Scottish Borders near where my folks came from.

I'll speak to the Bike Gallery guys about an MTB rental, they seemed a friendly and helful bunch. I'd like to ride a bit more of the Willamette Bike Trail too.

I doubt if an exta week will be enough.

MC
mcmoonter

Postby eljugador » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 pm

Check out last year's ride. You could drive the whole thing in a day dropping off clothes at hotels along the way, ride the route in 3 or 4 days, then drive back around to collect your stuff.
eljugador

Postby StackOfHay » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:14 pm

Brand new website which should prove quite helpful to answering your question:
http://www.rideoregonride.com
StackOfHay

Postby mcmoonter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:13 am

Quick update

I caught the 'bug' on the eve of the last days ride, however managed to ride back to Medford. It was possibly the worst I have ever felt on a bike.

I spent a couple of days staying with some great friends in Portland helping restore some paths and building a chicken coop, following instructions by the one and only Chris King.

On Wednesday I was fit enough to ride out from Portland to climb Mt St Helens. Goodness know how my carbon road frame will have survived towing a bob trailer full of camping and hiking gear. The climb was spectacular.

I plan to ride the Hood River Harvest Ride on Saturday then head down to Marin County to to some mountain biking for a few days.

Thanks to all those who helped me out. I hope to come back over from Scotland again next year and follow up a few more routes listed above.
mcmoonter

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19