Air mattress vs. Thermarest

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Air mattress vs. Thermarest

Postby pdxjelli » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:17 am

I'm almost done packing - having difficulty deciding between the inflatable air mattress I have (see link here:)http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87522
and a thermarest.
The air mattress requires me to bring along a battery-powered pump, which is somewhat heavy, plus 4 replacement D size batteries.
Trying to limit my expenditures, but I also really want to be able to sleep well. I have a thermarest, but it's a thin one.

Any ideas??
pdxjelli

Re: Air mattress vs. Thermarest

Postby valapple » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:33 am

First year I did CO with that big air mattress, took alot of battery power to inflate and took up too much space in my gear bag. Every year thereafter I used a Thermarest, a thicker one. Last year I used a Luxury Lite, will be using that again this year, it's very comfortable and the lightest of the 3 options.
valapple

Postby riding2live » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 am

Have to agree with the Luxury Lite cot with a Thermarest or the LuxLite mattress. Takes up little space and it light weight. It is a bit pricey but bring some extra bucks and maybe pick one up on Sat in Medford when they will be on display. Definitely the way to go, no doubt about it. My 63 yr old bones don't care for that thin thermarest on the ground (it feels like there's nothing there after awhile). The cot is OH SO COMFY!! Those big blow ups are bulky and weigh too much. You could put the space in your duffle bag to better use (maybe a six pack or two).

Gene "I like my comforts" Jones
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby loper » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:43 pm

I have an old thick Thermarest that I am bringing. I also thought of bringing my queen size air mattress but one thing to consider is that my experience is that these seem to pump the cold right into your bag----so you may need some insulation even with the mattress----in the end I decided on the thermarest as I do not have room for the air mattress
loper

Postby Scandium 52 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:46 pm

The luxury lite cot got my wife to go camping (like on CO) after saying that she would never sleep in a tent again. Maybe the down sleeping bag helped?
The Luxlite cot in by far the best nights sleep you can buy for the conditions that we will see. 8)
Scandium 52

Postby Alex from Eugene » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:24 pm

I like the comfort of an air mattress, and bring a small foot pump to inflate it;

But - - if it gets frost-on-the-tents cold (might not happen this year) you need a Thermarest or similar insulation under the air mattress or it will conduct your heat to the cold ground and freeze your buns off.

The LuxuryLite cot and pad setup is muy tempting pero muy expensivo....(sorry, Gordon)
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby Tender Chunks » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 pm

Yes, well, I don't set the price on these things. I'm of a fairly luddite, midwest-farmer sort of temperment (prone to winter coats with more duct tape than coat), but I'm also on the wrong side of 55. As was observed in "Never Sniff a Gift Fish", the ground has been getting harder in recent years, and this little indulgence has kept me enthusiastic about sleeping on the ground. You may note I'm still riding the same cheap commuter bike since 2001, wearing same outdated bike jerseys from then, carrying around same old tired 1960's attitude, but in this one area have forked over the cold hard cash to not get that bone-weary feeling from sleeping on mats in the dirt. Call me a spendthrift - but instead of taking care of my kid's orthodontia, I sprang for the LuxuryLite cot - and never looked back!! :P

See you in Medford.
Tender Chunks

Postby Alex from Eugene » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:43 pm

So can I pick up a cot and pad from you on Friday and lighten your load going down to Medford? 8) And do you have any of the pillows that goes with the setup?
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby eljugador » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:27 pm

I'll be lugging my big inflatable air mattress again. Heavy? Yes. Bulky? Yes. So be it. It is more comfortable than many hotel beds.
eljugador

Postby Tender Chunks » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:29 pm

Have cot and pads, for sale in Medford, but sorry no LuxuryLite pillows (other than the one I use).
At present, am thinking of setting up to sell these puppies (and generate donations to Cycle Oregon Foundation) at February kickoff, if they'll have me.
I'll promise not to wear the duct tape coat. 8)
Gordon
Tender Chunks

Postby bfuller24 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:54 pm

Tried thermarest a few years back and then went Luxury Lite cot two years ago. Now I only use the thermarest when visiting kids need a place to sleep. Would not trade even one nite of luxury lite sleep for the $200 or so I seem to recall spending. Luxury Lite...you don't roll off, you don't touch the ground, it goes back in the bag very quickly, it levels the minor pitch that might be under the tent, and I don't need a ladder to get into it.
Brad "still trying to squeeze in the frisbee" Fuller
Stronger today than yesterday but not as strong as tomorrow.
bfuller24

Postby tim walton » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:19 am

Plus 1 for the Luxury Lite cot/Thermarest pad combo.

Comfy, warm, and guaranteed great night's sleep.

I've paid more than the cost of a Luxury Lite cot for a night's sleep at a motel. Buy the Luxury Lite and sleep on it for a hundred nights, for less than the cost of a night at a Portland hotel.

One reason I am bringing both: Last year my Luxury Lite cot split along a sewn seam. Gordon kindly replaced it. But, in the event the Luxury Lite or the Thermarest fails, the other will function as a stand alone sleep system.

Together they provide exquisite sleep, but alone either one provides adequate comfort for these bones.
tim walton
boise, id
tim walton

Postby riding2live » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:15 am

LuxuryLite you're the best camp mate I could have.
You lie me down on a feather-lite bed and cuddle me tenderly in your warm embrace.
You protect me from the cold earth and tend to my tired and achy bones.
You care not whether I snore or pass a little gas during the night.
So LuxuryLite don't be hurt if I just roll over and kiss you goodnight when I fall into bed after a long hard day.
Goodnight LuxuryLite, you're the best.

Gene "I love my Lux" Jones
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby mytrot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:17 am

Had back surgery in DEC 07 and rode CO in 08 with the 2.5 IN thermarest. Works great! Likely not as comfy as the LL but I am very happy with it.
mytrot

Postby ridewime » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:34 am

We are using Big Agnes air mattresses. Light, can get insulated and they use you lungs to blow up If you haven't coughed them up on the big :oops: climbs. The money is the deciding factor here. About $30 at REI.
ridewime

Next

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19