Air mattress vs. Thermarest

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Air mattress vs. Thermarest

Postby pdxjelli » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:04 pm

Where can I find more info on these Luxury Lite cots everyone is raving about? At this point I am ready to ditch the fairly heavy air mattress + battery pump + extra batteries and just get a thicker thermarest. It will save both weight & room in my bag. How much are the Luxury Lite cots and if I understand correctly they will be available for sale in Medford?
pdxjelli

Re: Air mattress vs. Thermarest

Postby riding2live » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Go down to the sixth msg in this "string" and you'll see an entry by "Tenderchunks" in Eugene, OR. He's the guy in charge of the LuxLite sales. If you click on his name "tenderchunks" at the top of his comment you should be able to send him a PM and get all the straight skinny on the cots.

I don't think you'll regret it if you decide to go that way.

Gene "I got mine" Jones
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

camping comfort

Postby valapple » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Regardless of what you put under your beautiful,fit self....I've learned thru practice, what feels good to sleep in. Bring poly pro long underwear, it's warm, dries fast, layer with a wool jersey doubles as warmth on a ride if needed and also dries fast and is warm if wet and never stinks. Fleece pants if necessary to sleep in but also in camp. Cap is mandatory, you will stay warmer if your beanie is on. Sleep with it on! Trust me:) I keep my lycra in the bottom of my sleeping bag and it's toasty in the a.m. as a result. Fleece jacket is the last layer if it's bloody cold and again, needed in camp at night. Last but not least, Travel John.........ahhhh to avoid the blue room at 3:00 in the a.m. cuz I'm hydrating ( or drank too much Hef at the beer garden!) One pair of (non cycling) wool socks always travels with me too. I use a 20 degree bag with pretty good success so far.
valapple

RE: Camp comfort

Postby riding2live » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:31 pm

All perfect ideas. Worked well for me except for sleep clothing. Definitely clothing needs to be thought of in it's mutiple purpose use. Baggage would be impossible if you brought things that only have a single purpose. I laid my lycra out under my sleeping bag last year and slept on them and they were warm every morning. Also to avoid that early morning application of cold "butt butter" I put that on at night folding the chamois in half on the inside. Never pulled up a cold chamois in the morning last year altho' it would definitely wake you up in the morning.

Gene "please pass the butter" Jones
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

An cot alternative not mentioned

Postby jmaurer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Ok, the 2009 ride is over I know. But thought I would weigh in with another viable option for future ref. REI sells a cot called Roll-a-cot. ~$119 for the regular size (adequate for someone 6'1" and 200# I would say).

Quick to set up. Very comfortable. Bomb-proof design. A big advantage over the Luxury-lite cots is that you're 12-14" off of the ground so that you can used the area under the cot for storage - really nice for organizing. Two of these fit handily into even the T&P tents.

Certainly they are heavier and bulkier than the Luxury-lite, and I'd never take the Roll-a-cot on a backpacking trip (car camping, yes). But a lot of comfort and convenience for the money. Mine's made two CO's, numerous car camping trips and kid's overnighters and they still look new.

The only real disadvantage for CO is that when folded the cot is ~36" long and a 6-8" diameter bundle, requiring an adequately sized porter bag.

best,
-jeff
jmaurer

Previous

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19