Great Ride! Great Route! (any illness updates?)

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Great Ride! Great Route! (any illness updates?)

Postby Entiat » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:34 am

Another great week that went by far too quickly, another great route that blended good climbs with amazing scenery, interesting locales and fantastic support. We visited places and met people we otherwise would have never known existed.

Pizzacata rocks! I liked Hot Lips pizza but their service was challenged, at best - a much better pizza experience this year.

(New use for the always-dry salmon: sprinkle on top of a puttenesca pizza!)

The mechanics rocked. Thanks again to Randall for loaning me the saddle from his personal mountain bike at the top of a big climb after I broke mine 8 miles back. (I rode "side saddle", did a lot of standing, and my wife/stoker did more than her share for 8 steep climbing miles to avoid the sag wagon...).

Thumbs up to the kitchen staff! The food was very good (as usual). We really liked the fajitas - not your typical sizzling in a pan variety, but for 2000+ people, they were very tasty.

Eola Hills did a fine job as usual.

Tent and porter did a good job, too. I have trouble even grasping the scale of the challenge and they managed with very few issues that I saw.

The laundry service in Lake Selmac was nice. It was good being back there after 5 years - they know how to host Cycle Oregon.

The Riverside Inn in Grant's Pass was a great place to stay for one night out of the tent.

As always, I would have liked more blue rooms and more service for them.

A thumbs down to the dickhead who ran the shower truck who literally kicked us out of the unused shower chairs and onto the ground while we waited for bags to arrive in Lake Selmac. "Those are for people waiting to shower!". Uh, there are *no* people waiting to shower yet - we rode fast and are in camp early, which is why we are waiting for our bags. I wonder if humanity will ever find a vaccine for stupid.

Thumbs up to our bike shoes - we had a front tire blowout on one of the steep descents, but managed to get our feet down and keep the tandem upright as I almost locked up the rear brake to stop. That will wake you up, if the climb didn't. :D

On top of everything, I actually lost two pounds this week! Woo! I did limit myself to pizza only 5 out of 7 nights :?

All-in-all a wonderful week and we are looking forward to 2010 already. 51 weeks and counting. "Mind of state"...hmmm...my guess is a 2000 person bike rally in Salem.

Are there any updates on the illness that rolled through camp...how many people went down - we had one person in our group of friends need a ride back to Medford on day 2. Was it really some random bug, or a flu of some varient, etc.? Do they know yet what happened with the guy who passed away in his tent?

See you all in 2010.
Entiat

Re: Great Ride! Great Route! (any illness updates?)

Postby Tender Chunks » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Regarding the flu, or whatever it was - I started feeling "funny" on day four, crawled into camp on own steam, skipped dinner and announcements and went to bed at 7pm. Hurt everywhere (as in flu - joints, muscles, eyebrows - the usual). Next morning, sagged to Grass Pants, with 54 others, I believe, all looking like a freaking sick ward - wrapped in blankets, green around the gills. Some tales of woe there; not a fun night for that group, it sounded like. I checked into a hotel in GP and slept for 24 hours, then gathered up gear, got Sag to Medford, came home (Eugene) and crawled into bed again. Am still recovering.

I'd never sagged before for any reason (Death Before Sag), but it was interesting to watch parts of the CO infrastructure in action I hadn't seen before. They are pretty light on their feet, and everyone seems to care. Typical CO class act.
Tender Chunks

Postby grin4joy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Had a Great ride, but now am home and sick - vomiting and "the other". Ugh, thought I had missed it. :cry:
grin4joy

Postby Entiat » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:23 pm

grin4joy wrote:Had a Great ride, but now am home and sick - vomiting and "the other". Ugh, thought I had missed it. :cry:

Darn :( - my stoker/wife just came down with it this afternoon while at our son's baseball game no less. She is now in bed, and periodically running to the bathroom...I suspect we've now brought it home for all to share. Arg...at least we were able to enjoy the full week of CO before it hit her (us?)
Entiat

Postby Red Zinger » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:33 pm

I'm sorry for everyone afflicted with the stomach virus. :cry: It was spreading fast in northern California and southern Oregon, and hopped onto Cycle Oregon when we came by. Matt and I were volunteers this year, and escaped it, at least we have so far. I don't know what the gestation period is. The friend we carpooled to Medford with got it, but he was much better by the end of the week and enjoyed riding Day 7.

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands... :)
Red Zinger
Red Zinger

Postby SummerBreeze » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Wow, that's no way to wind up a great ride. I hope you all get well quick! :-) (Not sorry I missed out on that part of the ride).
SummerBreeze

Postby nauseklis » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:01 pm

Both my fiance and I were affected as well. My case was mild and did not hit me full force until in Medford at the finish line. My fiance got hit hard this evening full force. I am so sorry for those affected during the ride itself which must have been painful as well as frustrating.

I really enjoyed Lake Selmac as far as a place to stay. What a wonderful town and welcome. Wish we could have had more time there, especially after the climbing we had to do to get there!
nauseklis

Postby CDub » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:42 pm

I escaped the illness, I thought. Came down with it Sunday. I cant imagine how the people sick on the ride dealt with it from a tent or on the bike. I am SOOOO glad I made it back to my bed (with toilet 20 steps away) before it hit me.
CDub

Postby Alex from Eugene » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:59 am

So far all I have is a sore throat (more than I would have expected just from too much "talk like a pirate"), none of the GI stuff. I am so thankful to have (hopefully) dodged that, my sympathy to those affected after and especially during the ride. Gordon, what a bummer! Wondered why I didn't see you after day 3. Glad that's all it was! "This too shall pass".....

My wife did say that after hitting the hay Sat night I passed out in seconds and I was snoring so loudly she couldn't sleep. And even when she tried to clamp my nose and mouth shut, I wouldn't wake up :wink:
Last edited by Alex from Eugene on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby MaryB » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:47 am

My partner got it on Weds night and tried to ride on Thursday - only made it to the Heaven on Earth stop before starting his sag wagon ride - there were 8 other people in the sag that were also sick. I came down with it on Friday about noon while visiting at Wildlife Images. Thanks to the CO riders that drove by in JC's Taxi and helped me get back to camp. We packed up and left that afternoon - missing the chance to cross the finish line - but it felt great to be back in my own bed.
MaryB

Postby Chuck B. » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:57 am

So far I seem to have missed it. My condolences to all those who got to partake...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby HalfBent » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:54 pm

The bug got me too and others in my group after crossing the finish. I feel lucky that I was able to pedal across the line. It was about 33 hours from start of "symptoms" to feeling sorta normal. Today's a bright new day (and diet). The ONLY silver lining is that it is one way to turn off that Cycle Oregon eating hunger frenzy that's tough to manage after the ride!

Overall, another fantastic Cycle Oregon Experience. Now to work on Jonathan's clue for next year's route!

Tailwinds,

Joe
HalfBent

Postby BobJ » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Flu symptoms hit me this morning.

By the way, the first poster on this thread wrote about a "dickhead" who was running the showers and guarding the chairs at Selmac. I was there and heard the exchange. Two dickheads were at work on that one.
BobJ

Postby Alex from Eugene » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:26 pm

Check your home emails for an update from CO about the diarrheal illness. They are suspecting a norovirus which fits the facts of the epidemic, which did not act at all like food-borne illness. Norovirus spreads like wildfire in nursing homes and cruise ships, and since we (well, speaking for myself :D ) are mostly old geezers cruising around on bikes, it's not suprising it hit CO.

I think that the CO organization could have announced the outbreak and stressed the need for frequent hand-washing a bit earlier, but overall responded well. I was personally more concerned about an outbreak of H1N1 "swine" influenza on the ride, and was hand-washing a lot, so far haven't heard anybody reporting symptoms suggesting H1N1.
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby dahollen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:13 am

Well, 2 of the 3 of us that rode last week got 'the crud' on Sunday. I was very glad to get the email from Cycle Oregon noting a diagnosis of gastroenteritis. Seemed consistent with what I had. Looking forward to being healthy by tomorrow.
dahollen

Next

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19