Great Ride! Great Route! (any illness updates?)

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Great Ride! Great Route! (any illness updates?)

Postby pmagnusson » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks to Cycle Oregon for their very rational and reasoned explanation of the likely cause of the gastro-intestinal outbreak during CO 2009. If you look at the CDC web site, you will see that the likely culprit, a norovirus, is transmitted by direct contact with the virus. In their words:

How do people become infected with noroviruses?
Noroviruses are found in the stool or vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways, including:
• eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus;
• touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth;
• having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).

It's clear that the advice regarding hand washing is paramount in the efforts to prevent spreading the contagion.

We can keep Cycle Oregon healthy by following the simple recommendation of wash, wash, wash.

Peter Magnusson, MD
pmagnusson

Postby R-3 fan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:58 pm

Normally Roto-rooter does an outstanding job of servicing the blue rooms and hand wash stations. Unfortunately, in Glendale, both the hand wash stations by my tent were out of water all evening and the next morning. I can't help but wonder how much this contributed to the spread of the misery.
R-3 fan

Postby Brettha » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 pm

I was one of the unfortunate people who had to be shuttled (along with 55 other riders) to Grant's Pass on the school bus Thursday.

I think the blue room maintenance was appalling.

In Happy Camp, there was a lineup of about five Blue rooms on the way down to the dinner area--all without a washing station.

For most of the night in Happy Camp, I heard what sounded like a sick dog but turned out to be the pumping sound of an empty wash station.

In Lake Selmac, on Wednesday morning, there was a line for the blue rooms (behind the showers) and, as folks exited half of the stalls, they yelled, "no paper." This is unacceptable maintenance.

The sick dog sound continued in Glendale. Along with the sound of vomiting and blue rooms closing all night.

Under these conditions it's easy to predict where folks might have gone next to wash (touching spigots and other wash stations without foot pumps) and how that might have facilitated the spread of this bug -- which for me lasted more like 48 hours.
Brettha

Postby slv0700 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:11 pm

I started feeling not so good Fri afternoon in G.P; couldn't figure out
why my leg muscles were working so hard to go up that little incline they
called a hill.......but right after we got in to Medford, my body started
aching and I knew ! Stayed overnight at Comfort Inn, as planned, left about
11:00 Sunday for McMinnville; only did bike laundry; went to work Monday and by afternoon was back to normal ! Dang, really ruined my celebrating!!
Guess will have to celebrate this weekend instead. Great ride !
slv0700

Postby grin4joy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:45 am

Hope everyone is starting to feel better, it sure left me exhausted just when I was feeling so strong and invincible! Below is a quote from the CDC page on Noroviruses. Evidently we can still spread the the virus for a while even after we feel better so excellent hygiene is in order as always! I work in the medical field and hearing people vomit in the blue rooms with their faces so close to 'the waste' made me shudder.

"People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as 2 weeks after recovery. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness."
grin4joy

Postby riding2live » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:24 am

Saturday, and I was home free. No signs of illness. 2AM, Monday morning and the dreaded "squirts" descended upon me (frequently). No food for 36 hours, just liquids to replenish my losses. Wedneday morning now and feeling ALMOST normal (whatever that is). I could definitely do without that experience again, anytime soon. BTW, lost about 6 lbs (that's a good thing).

On a happier note: 50.5 weeks until CO 2010. Yeeeeeee-hahhhhhhhh!
Most of you (alomost all of whom passed me at one point or another) probably know me better as either, OLD FART or CRANKY OLD BASTARD 8) They seemed to stand out amongst the crowd this year.
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby suziqt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:37 am

So sorry to hear about the CO bug! :cry: I didn't ride but saw you all off day-1, then again at Grants Pass. I feel fine but know that my friend was ill after returning home. Hang in there. Are your chunks still tender...you-know-who? :wink:
SuziQt
suziqt

Postby Leedo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:05 pm

There is one thing that people are ignoring: ALL the blue rooms had hand sanitizer gel in them which didn't run out, as far as I saw. If you know the hand washing stations are out of water, why not use the gel? I did every time before I washed my hands (if I could wash, that is).

I didn't get sick but I have to admit that I did have a similar norovirus illness in early August with the exact same symptoms. Maybe that helped me avoid it this time?
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Postby Alex from Eugene » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:09 pm

That was mostly true - except at one rest stop where SOAP had been placed in the gel dispensers in the blue rooms! To their credit, as soon as I notified one of the Roto Rootermen, he ran around replacing the soap with gel. When camping anywhere, I try to have a bike waterbottle handy so rinse water is always available, not a bad idea IMHO.

And I'm STILL not riding to work :( - we have bad smoke and some ash intrusion into Eugene from the Tumblebug fire near Oakridge. CO dodged a bullet since there are fires burning near Medford as well this week!
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby valapple » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:00 pm

I have not yet gotten sick, I am a germaphobe, I admit it. When I use the Blueroom I double dutied the gel and the soap and water. And I carry my own alcohol based sanitizer as well.....all week, and avoided shared serving spoons this year....raisins or almonds on your oatmeal anyone???

Not to dis the roto rooter pals, think about it...all the use/overuse, they ran out of supplies, water, gel, soap and paper cuz we were puking and pooping. We got sick, many of us. CO did a great job, as riders ( and only riders got sick BTW) we can go a step further in diligence with bathroom and other contact related issues, think about it.
valapple

Postby Jackson » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Volunteers also contracted the virus. Those who got it took a day or two off before resuming our jobs.
Jackson

Postby Hardbike » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 pm

As is well know by now, lots of folks got this bug and I feel for them. My tent partner came down with it Sunday evening and only returned to work yesterday afternoon. I didn't cath it and the only thing I can attribute that to is: every time I used the blue room I used the gel sanitizer, got a puddle in my hand, went out and then rubbed it in my hands and then to the wash station. After washing and drying my hands, I reached into my pocket and got out my own bottle of gel that I brought from home and did it again. A little bottle of that stuff can be carried in any pocket and in my estimation is some very cheap insurance.

I hope everyone is well now and we can begin 2010 coutdown. :D
Hardbike

Postby djgeorge » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:54 pm

In our group of three, one came down with it Friday night and sagged back to Medford Saturday. Said there were many others. I thought I was fine, but got violently ill Sunday after getting home. Only lasted about 12-14 hours though, then just tired. Gave me a reason to sleep in instead of going back to work on Monday.

Still waiting and hoping that I did not pass it on to my wife or kids. So far so good. The third member of our group has not been sick yet.

By the way, I saw no issues with blue room maintenance, and thought overall the staff did a great job informing enveryone of the outbreak at the evening announcements (Wednesday or Thursday? can't remember) and following up with communication. The week overall was fantastic - great ride, great route - and the virus, though unpleasant, certainly didn't ruin it for me.

Given how persistent the virus can be though, I wonder how T&P is going to sterilize all the tents before the next ride?

DG
djgeorge

Postby Jackson » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:51 pm

The T&P tents were donated to the Boy Scouts. A professional cleaning company volunteered to sterilize the tents before the Boy Scouts take possession.

CO replaces the T&P tents every other year due to damage caused during the week and weekend events. This year happens to be one of those years.
Jackson

Postby klamathriversfinest » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi. I'm not one of the cyclers, I'm one of the volunteers at one of your stops. I wanted to pass on a message, and two, pass on some concerns.

My message is from the kids from the Klamath River Elementary School that lunch was served from on 9/14.

:mrgreen:

They wanted me to tell you how much they enjoyed doing interviews with you guys and gals, and how enlightening the experience was for them-they enjoyed it 110%. Thank you so much for the experience!!

#2 has to do with the illness that swept through your ranks. I understand it was a pretty nasty illness-can you tell when it started? We have had some sickness here and one of our teachers got pretty sick last week. My concern is (not the school, I'm writing as a private individual now) after reading alot about this illness that went through your riders you still went through and had contact with alot of individual in towns. I know that along 96, for hydration and lunch, alot of our townspeople were volunteers; were other townspeople elsewhere also volunteers for your run? Not to be too blunt here, but I think that there could have been more precautions, less contact between you and locals where there is such an illness that is easily passed from person to person, especially when you know you will be around kids and elderly. We took great precautions serving food, but I didn't see precautions on the part of the riders in the food line-hands/fingers in serving plates, even one person taking a slice of tomato, putting into her mouth, then putting the fork back into the tomatoes!! Yuck! (yes, the WHOLE bag was thrown out by me, over objections of others)

The #3 concern was the use of the pottys, or I guess what you call the blue rooms? I understand that with over 2000 people, there is gonna be a line, but that does not excuse riders going behind the gym at our school,to urinate or maybe vomit. That is gross and disrespectful, and I saw it happen twice. Yes, I brought it to the attention to the powers that be, but I wanted to be brought up here also. No matter where you may go on your runs, you may wnat to return in the future with a good welcome, so please bear this in mind in the future.

Thank you, and blessings to all.
klamathriversfinest

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19