Great Ride! Great Route! (any illness updates?)

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Great Ride! Great Route! (any illness updates?)

Postby grin4joy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:00 am

Dear Klamath,

I was one of the riders interviewed by the children. What a wonderful experience that was! She, her partner, and her teacher were welcoming, informative, adorably shy and the most memorable part of my day. The school and the students/teacher were the type of people that Cycle Oregon riders love to embrace and why we keep coming back year after year to ride through Oregon's small towns.

You raised some very valid concerns and I encourage you to contact the CO office with them. I know they are working with the public health department to better know how to handle something like this in the future. I would like to apologize for some of the bad behavior you witnessed. I won't try to excuse it, it was just plain bad manners and as you said "gross". Urinating at an Elementary School? :evil:

Now, as promised, I have to go get some postcards ready to send to the school children. Thank you for the wonderful care you took hosting us and a special "THANK YOU" for tossing out that bag of tomatoes! :lol:
grin4joy

Postby rpm » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:18 am

Anyone know what the post-mortem showed on the fellow who passed away in his tent?
rpm
rpm

Postby riding2live » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:15 am

Here's the info from the Eugene Register Guard but C.O.D. is not mentioned. This is the Family Tribute not the obit. If you can find it in you it would be nice if as many as possible would sign the on-line register at www.registerguard.com/legacy. I don't think I met John on the ride but he was one of the Cycle Oregon Family and we should try to register at any memorial to him.

John O. Aeby
March 20, 1950--September 18, 2009

John O. Aeby was a man of God. He passed Thursday night peacefully in his sleep, after a beautiful day on his bike at Cycle Oregon. He is loved and missed by his wife, Clarice, three children and their spouses, four grandchildren, and his family and friends.

John was born March 20, 1950 to Ben and Sakie Aeby in Tokyo, Japan. He grew up in Clackamas, Oregon. His siblings are Steve and his wife Alina, Jim and his wife Pat, Judy and her husband Ron, and Richard and his wife Kim.

After serving six years in the Navy, John graduated from the University of Oregon with a Journalism degree. He married Clarice Tippetts, the love of his life, on June 25, 1972. Their children are Erica, Ryan and his wife Amy, and Renee and her husband Brandon. John and Clarice raised their family in Eugene, OR, where his mother-in-law, Martha Tippetts was also a vital part of their lives.

John lovingly dedicated 30 years of his life to the children of the world as he documented their uniting with families through Holt International Childrens Services.

We will be celebrating John?s gentle and artistic spirit, and his enjoyment of the outdoors and cycling on Thursday, September 24, at 2:00 p.m. at Eugene Faith Center, 1410 W 13th, Eugene. His family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made in his name to: Holt International Childrens Services, 1195 City View, Eugene, OR 97402.Please sign the guest book at www.registerguard.com/legacy
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby Alex from Eugene » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:59 am

I posted the link to the family tribute on Mon 9/21 on the "Death In Camp" thread which is where this also belongs IMO. I also encouraged folks to sign the guest book which an anonymous donor is keeping on line until 10/2010.
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby leisure1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:29 am

Seems to me there might have been a couple illnesses going around camp. I had something more like the flu. It started with a high fever in the middle of the night in Glendale. Threw up once, little diarrhea. Most of the worst symptoms were gone after 18 hours. The rest seem to be revisiting every couple of days or so – 2 full weeks later!
I rode the sick bus from Glendale to Grants Pass. The bus was full – maybe 60 people – and they all seemed to know someone else that had been sick or were starting to feel sick. Based on that I would not be surprised if there were 300 to 400 people that got sick….
We had a large group on the ride – over 30 people - and it sounds like well over half got sick in the week after the ride – most with the lower intestinal stuff and a few with the full blown flu.
I was really glad to see that they were having people serve food with tongs at the rest stop on the last day. Think about all the people that don’t even remove their riding gloves and reach onto the food bowls….
I think they need to get a sanitizer station at the rest stops – and then put a drill sergeant with a whip at the station to make people take of their gloves and sanitize their hands.
leisure1

Previous

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19