Death in camp....

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Death in camp....

Postby clwilli » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:54 am

Just reading about the death in the camp at Grants Pass...curious why there was nothing mentioned Friday night. My condolences to the family of the man. Understand he was 59, from Eugene.
clwilli

Re: Death in camp....

Postby Alex from Eugene » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:11 am

That's more than I heard at the time. My heart goes out to John's family and friends. You can say that at least he was doing something he loved, but still a tragic loss.

Found this on BikePortland: http://bikeportland.org/2009/09/19/cycl ... ants-pass/
and it finally made it onto OregonLive.com: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... close.html

When I came back late Friday afternoon from rafting and saw local fire/EMS and police at the camping site, I asked some guys camping nearby. They said his buddies hadn't seen him since the night before and when they didn't see him on the ride that day, they checked his tent in the afternoon and found him dead, presumably since Thursday night.

Obviously, CO wants to accentuate the positive (i.e. the rider who was sucessfully resuscitated) but there also may have been concerns about the ongoing investigation, notifying next of kin, etc that precluded making a public announcement.

There were a number of crashes that didn't make the announcements, one of which I helped out at (on day 3, the second very steep one lane downhill coming into Lake Selmac) and of course I would like to hear that the rider is OK, nothing available on that one yet. There is some info available about the rider who crashed on 199 on Weds:
http://sosp.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html
No further update that I can find, but being in the business if they say someone with a head injury is "stable", that's usually pretty good news.

Back at work now - I returned with a sore throat (but not the dreaded "Jefferson Two-Step") so actually didn't ride in today...
Last edited by Alex from Eugene on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby Force 5 Robert » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 pm

I was not on the week ride this year (sounds like it was a doozy) but I heard a rumor that there were two deaths.

????
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby pdxjelli » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:23 pm

Found this article on Bike Portland:

http://bikeportland.org/2009/09/19/cycl ... ants-pass/
pdxjelli

Postby Chuck B. » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:23 pm

Force 5 Robert wrote:I was not on the week ride this year (sounds like it was a doozy) but I heard a rumor that there were two deaths.

????

Nope, only one. Several crashes, though. And one heart attack victim (that I heard of) who was saved by the CO medical staff...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby suziqt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:39 pm

So awful about John. Although way too young to pass, what a great place to lay down to rest, with 2,200 friends surrounding you.
:cry: SuziQt
suziqt

Postby Alex from Eugene » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:46 pm

This is the family tribute published in today's Eugene Register-Guard. I did not know John personally but since CO is a kind of extended family, I would think it appropriate for any of us to sign the online guest book.

http://www.legacy.com/registerguard/Obi ... =133317597

Alex
Alex from Eugene
Alex from Eugene

Postby Alex from Eugene » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:29 pm

The family tribute to John Aeby and the guest book is staying on-line until 10/22/2010 thanks to an anonymous donor. John was very well known to the Willamette valley cycling community as I have been finding out talking to cyclists who knew him. Reading the guest book, it's clear he touched people's lives all over the world. The family tribute is posted below, with the link to the guestbook in the previous post:

John O. Aeby

March 20, 1950-

September 18, 2009

John O. Aeby was a man of God. He passed Thursday night peacefully in his sleep, after a beautiful day on his bike at Cycle Oregon. He is loved and missed by his wife, Clarice, three children and their spouses, four grandchildren, and his family and friends.

John was born March 20, 1950 to Ben and Sakie Aeby in Tokyo, Japan. He grew up in Clackamas, Oregon. His siblings are Steve and his wife Alina, Jim and his wife Pat, Judy and her husband Ron, and Richard and his wife Kim.

After serving six years in the Navy, John graduated from the University of Oregon with a Journalism degree. He married Clarice Tippetts, the love of his life, on June 25, 1972. Their children are Erica, Ryan and his wife Amy, and Renee and her husband Brandon. John and Clarice raised their family in Eugene, OR, where his mother-in-law, Martha Tippetts was also a vital part of their lives.

John lovingly dedicated 30 years of his life to the children of the world as he documented their uniting with families through Holt International Childrens Services.

We will be celebrating John's gentle and artistic spirit, and his enjoyment of the outdoors and cycling on Thursday, September 24, at 2:00 p.m. at Eugene Faith Center, 1410 W 13th, Eugene. His family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made in his name to: Holt International Childrens Services, 1195 City View, Eugene, OR 97402.Please sign the guest book at http://www.registerguard.com/legacy

Share photos, videos and more with Legacy Memorial Websites. Find out more.
Alex from Eugene
Alex from Eugene

Postby Rick Jungers » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:27 pm

It has been a couple of weeks, but I have uneasiness about the proclaimed "community" of Cycle Oregon, yet norovirus, serious accidents, and even a death it is kept under wraps to the community of riders.
Rick Jungers

Postby clwilli » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:17 am

Rick, I echo your sentiments. I was concerned enough to send an email and I have not gotten a reply.
clwilli

Postby Alex from Eugene » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:53 pm

FWIW, CO did send out an email this week regarding John Aeby's death and the norovirus outbreak including a link to the Oregon Health Division's 'Executive Summary' of their investigation. Maybe one of the investigators will be training in the new year to come along with us?
Alex from Eugene
Alex from Eugene

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19