Next Years Ride

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Next Years Ride

Postby drsteep » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:42 am

While driving back to Portland my driving partner and I came up with the following theory for next years ride :
According to Jonathan the ride will again enter unridden territory . Rather than construe the clue "mind of state " as spelled in this years clue we interpreted it as being " mined of state "
From my recollection over the 11 past CO's that I've ridden since 1993 it sees we have touched ground in both Washington state as well as Idaho .
That leaves the Northwestern part of Nevada to be ridden in . Perhaps they are going to again do a tour in Southeastern Oregon / Steens / and enter northern Nevada where there has been plenty of mining.
Any thoughts ?
drsteep

Re: Next Years Ride

Postby Chuck B. » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:23 am

I've heard that there are two layover days next year...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby grin4joy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:06 pm

My biking buddy also interpreted it as 'mined' and thought of Nevada. Personally, I hope there are 2 layover days next year. I liked the option of taking it easy if needed or going on the optional rides. I would have enjoyed spending more time at Lake Selmac.
grin4joy

Postby suziqt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:44 pm

After Google'ing "Best U.S. stats to mine", up popped up Idaho! Think you are correct my friend! :idea:
SuziQt
suziqt

Postby casualbik » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:09 pm

I am in full agreement of desiring a layover at Lake Selmac. Mid week would have been a great break in the action. I witnessed several people abadoning from Grants Pass as it was so close to ride the bike to Medford and get their car and go home.
casualbik

Postby bvdahlberg » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:59 am

Hi Everyone,

When I hear mind of state I think of a state capital, kind of like the head of state. Also some place CO has never been...... Bosie, Idaho?? It has some nice loops using 395 and 20 26 or 95.

I lean against Nevada because 140, or 205 are some of the most desolate roads in the country with nothing at all for 90 or 100 miles in some places, much less places for 2000+ people.

We shall see!

Bary
bvdahlberg

Postby Force 5 Robert » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:40 pm

PLEASE no Nevada.... Ugh... you looked at Google Earth in that area? DEAD.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Alex from Eugene » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:00 pm

So -

It turns out we are going to Nevada after all. The layover day will be in the Black Rock Desert and we will combine with the Burning Man festival. It will be called Burning Butt..... :lol:
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby riding2live » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:22 pm

Different Min(e)d of State --

Did a little googling and Idaho had quite a bit of mining also. Lots of stuff other than GOLD so "different type of mining"? Boise isn't so far away from Halfway and houses the Idaho Museum of Mining and Geology. I know CO has touched down in ID before but have they gone to Boise? Lots of towns over that way. Wouldn't "mind" another BBQ in Halfway at all.

Just something to think about along with all the other guesses that are going to be floating in for the next 5 or 6 months.

Gene "Never 'mind' the OLD FART" Jones
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby SofriderSFO » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:52 pm

Cycle Burning Man 2010. They won't even notice an extra 2600 people in Black Rock City. No need for tents or baggage. Just take everything off when you get there. Don't forget the [url]http://www.bureauoferoticdiscourse.org/[/url]
SofriderSFO

Postby Entiat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:31 am

Given the nature of Jonathan's speech on the last night I think we're going to be part of a 2000 person bicycle rally in Salem.
Entiat

Postby kpapyohpok » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:58 pm

When you think of "Mind of State" (vs Mined) the head of the state is Salem... at least currently. When you look historically, however, and at the mindset/ vision to form the state, that was Oregon City! This would be a wonderful starting point to take in the surrounding area ranging over to Mt Hood, the Historic Columbia Hwy, etc or attack the upper Willamette Valley.
kpapyohpok

Postby Tender Chunks » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Hmmmm, Mind of State. Let's see. We knew about the State of Mind of this year. That had a lot to do with an Altered State: Too much reefer down in SO Jefferson; people sit around and sculpt bigfoot and make 50' diameter dream catchers.

People like to anthropomorphize things they care about, so Oregon must have a heart, and a soul, and a mind, certainly a body, maybe an ego? (Illinois has Blagojevich....) I think the heart is located either at the Barge Inn on the Newport bayfront, or maybe Mel's Bait and Tackle (special this weekend on steelhead poppers) at 133rd & Division in PDX. (OK, if it isn't there, it SHOULD be...) The soul, let's see, either at the Metolius springs, or the Doug Fir Lounge. But the mind. I'm thinking Get Smart. Brains. Noodles. Grey Matter. What is the most "mental" institution in the State?? That's easy. Reed College. But, more to the point, aren't all Institutions of Higher Learning "Keepers of the Flame"? As George Harrison (the Smart Beatle) said in the movie "Yellow Submarine", "It's all in the mind."

So Mind of State. A grand tour of Institutions of higher learning. Lush green lawns; beautiful, stately buildings; huge budgets, fountains, research and development, armies of people taking care of the grounds. Oops, sorry! I forgot: Nike Campus isn't a University! Silly me! OK, so we won't go there, except for the February kickoff event.

So, we start on the lovely Reed College campus (lots of nice green grass for the tent city there), then do a sort of altered Bridge Pedal, and wend our way thru PSU, then down 99W to Pacific University, on to Western Oregon University (kind of recycling the Weekend Ride, we are), Lewis and Clark in Linnfield, Willamette U in Salem, Oregon State (I hear they have flush toilets, now...), U of O in the People's Republic of Eugene (where old hippies go to die), Umpqua in Roseburg, on down to U of Southern Oregon in Ashland. Maybe, as a tip of the hat to the State of Mind of this year, we should end up at Humboldt State in Cal.

So there you have it. You heard it here first.
Tender Chunks

Postby slv0700 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:23 pm

They will probably head north to Washington........prepare for rain.
slv0700

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19