What's with those shirts?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

What's with those shirts?

Postby capthawk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:51 pm

First off--another overall outstanding CO. Now, what is with those crappy "free shirts" filled with cheap ads and NO interesting route design? I think they win hands down as the worst shirt ever. The shirt that the CO folks were SELLING was a very nice looking design. Guess someone was trying to squeeze another few bucks out of us!!!
It's always sunny at 35,000 ft
capthawk

Re: What's with those shirts?

Postby Allyn Rice » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:08 pm

The Large was almost big enough for my 5 yr old grandson. If you are going to waste material, at least waste it in the correct sizes.
The world is not flat.
Allyn Rice

Postby Shifty » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:18 am

They were given out by a bank that has been in the background of Cycle Oregon providing lots of free support services in the off season. They were very low keyed about the booth they had, and someone had to point them out to me.

Thanks Umpqua Bank for the nice thought, when everything else in my bag was getting ripe, your shirt came in handy.

He's a tip: if you didn't like the design or the fit, use it to clean the road off your bike, or give it to the less fortunate that may appreciate it more.
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Postby clwilli » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:43 am

Bottom line on the shirt...no imagination. Yes, will end up in the box as a cleaning rag. If you can't do any better than that, don't print them.....
clwilli

Postby jandrews » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:47 pm

I like the shirt...in fact I'm wearing it right now! It reminds me of a great experience and meeting a bunch of great people. Thanks to CO for another great event.
jandrews

Postby Alex from Eugene » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Might be talking about 2 different shirts here. I agree, the souvenir CO shirt that came "free" with the ride is kind of unexciting. But I'm hard on shirts and can definitely use a new one.

The quality of the official CO giveaways seems to have gone down over the years. I was still wearing the nice Columbia black nylon ballcap from CO X at the rest stops (not enough hair left to prevent sunburn!) and in the rain this year. I guess this year it was the musette bag, which was OK.

Also, Umpqua bank (some stay "Stumpqua")had a very low key shirt giveaway one day - American Apparel shirts in grey or white with kind of small pictures of Oregon scenery on the front (I got the ones with Face Rock for my kids)

Lastly, Jacksonville gave away an "always a good time" shirt apparently left over from a previous CO visit at the rest stop there.

So, there was plenty of swag, great food and lots of stuff to buy if you wanted better. Can't complain (but sometimes we still do....)
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby grin4joy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:26 am

I liked the free shirt we received at packet pick up - bright with good colors. However, I REALLY liked the t shirt I bought from CO. I will finally peel it off today and wash it! :oops:
Speaking of t shirts, I packed too many. Next year I will only bring the one I'm wearing and the ones I gather along the way will do nicely. I waaaay overpacked, I guess it's a learning process.
grin4joy

Postby Leedo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:46 pm

I saw some people with a black shirt (microfiber?) that had the route outline on the front. Any idea where I can pick up one of those? I wasn't impressed with the official CO shirts with the route outline on the back.

Leedo
A.K.A. Supergrover
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Postby riding2live » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:29 pm

I may have been the one wearing the jersey that sai "Cranky Old Bastard" but feel I should pass it on to the ungrateful "persons" here who can't say "thanks" to a good gesture or just politely say "no thank you." Nobody made you take the shirt or shirts, you had a chance to look at the sizing before you took them so quitcherbellyachin'. You sound like you'd complain if someone gave you a $100 just because it wasn't a $1000.

If you hate them that much, don't make rags out of them. Pass it to some homeless person that would be more than grateful for a fresh shirt.

Like my momma use to tell me, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby Chuck B. » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:04 am

My sentiments exactly...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby tavi-1 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:55 am

Well said riding2live! I find it absolutely appalling regarding the apparent arrogance and self-importance displayed by a couple of writers in this thread. DON'T FRICKEN TAKE THE SHIRTS IF YOU'RE SO DISGUSTED BY THEM :!: Thank goodness the haughtiness and superciliousness exhibited by those writers is not representative of the majority of CO riders.

A big thank you to Umpqua Bank for creating the shirts, and supporting the ride!
tavi-1

Postby Brettha » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:55 am

I think there's some confusion about the t-shirts. I think the complaints are stemming from the white ones we received at registration. I was told by one registration volunteer that I needed an extra large because the sizes were so small. Those t-shirts (with the Nike logo) were uninteresting and did not reflect the great adventure before us. We have some right to complain as these t-shirts we paid for with our registration money.

The FREE Umpqua Bank t-shirts distributed in Glendale were fantastic. They were soft --and immediately comfortable, and they were sized correctly. The designs (I believe there were four different ones) captured the unique areas we were fortunate enough to visit during CO.

Thank you Umpqua Bank. Please, Cycle Oregon-- give us a shirt we want to wear.
Brettha

Postby clwilli » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:05 pm

Amen Brettha....your point is well made on the CO shirts that were given away at registration on the first day. I have numerous CO t's that represent the CO experience and that I am proud to wear(worn most of them out). I road with several graphic artist people and those that have worked in the athletic business and we all were in agreement. Where did the idea of some green vines come from and the small lettering on the back that was no bigger than a postage card....If they need some help next year, I'll volunteer. I can do better after a six pack of beer with a crayon....
clwilli

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19