"Jefferson Two-Step" (Norovirus) heads up

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

"Jefferson Two-Step" (Norovirus) heads up

Postby Alex from Eugene » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:59 pm

FYI -

Don't be surprised if you get contacted by the Oregon Health Division who are conducting a routine investigation of this outbreak. A lucky few may even get to donate stool samples! :shock:
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Re: "Jefferson Two-Step" (Norovirus) heads up

Postby grin4joy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:35 pm

They are very nice and are helping the CO organization figure out how to better prevent an outbreak in the future. Our comments in the forum have been helpful to them as well as the phone calls being made. Kudos to CO for being proactive with this.
grin4joy

Postby Entiat » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Yep, I got to fill out a survey indicating when, what and duration of the illness, as well as questions about sag wagons (we didn't). Both my wife and I got it Sunday evening after getting home...and were pretty much better by Monday morning...albeit a couple pounds lighter.

I can imagine an appropriate rider gift next year: hand sanitizer on a carabiner. :D Or maybe spray bottles of disinfectant - spray the entire inside of a blue room as you enter.
Entiat

Postby skipfrank » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:04 pm

I was just interviewed by telephone by a Health Division representative. They are collecting data for an epidemiological study, asking questions of riders selected at random. The questions relate to food selection, use and availability washing stations, etc. By process of statistical inclusion and exclusion, they are searching for some culprit common demoninators that may suggest how the illness was caused and transmitted. I was not one of those who was ill. I was told that the conclusions will be shared with CO. The Health Division representative assumed the conclusions would be made available to us.
skipfrank

Postby kpapyohpok » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:57 pm

I know the efforts we made at Roto Rooter were unlike what we have ever done. The course support crews go out long before the course is open or the sun comes up, so normally our day is done when we return at 5-6PM... With the outbreak it was "All Hands on Deck" and we were disinfecting camp equipment for an additional 4-6 hours each night. We hope it made a positive impact.
kpapyohpok

Postby Shifty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:32 pm

kpapyohpok wrote:I know the efforts we made at Roto Rooter were unlike what we have ever done. The course support crews go out long before the course is open or the sun comes up, so normally our day is done when we return at 5-6PM... With the outbreak it was "All Hands on Deck" and we were disinfecting camp equipment for an additional 4-6 hours each night. We hope it made a positive impact.
I think that Roto Rooter did a fantastic job of serving our needs this year on Cycle Oregon. I'm happy to have the chance to thank you and the whole crew for the job you do for us.
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Postby valapple » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:46 pm

I want to second the appreciation and applause to RR as they, as always ,did a supreme job despite the obstacles posed by the virus. And fellow riders, recall that RR isn't only bluerooms, anyone have a friendly chat with the guys that travelled with us? Anyone appreciate the widely available drinking water? I only wish I had the chance to chat longer and treat them to a cold one in the beer tent. How do we make this happen next year? :)
valapple

Postby riding2live » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:33 pm

Yea!!! Siss-boom-bah!! Give me an "R" give me an "O" and a "T" and another "O". You get the idea.
My visits were as therapeutic as my visits to my shrink. I left with a great feeling of relief and that I'd gotten a lot off my "mind."
Next year think about caching some extra TP rolls so when "rooms" run out we can replenish when so "desperately" needed.

Sincerely,

OLD FART (such an appropriate name for the topic, don't you think?)
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby upsrider » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:48 pm

I was fortunate enough to have one of the Roto Rooter guys bellying up to the bar next to me in the Beer Garden in Grants Pass. I WAS able to buy his beer and I thanked him for ALL of us for their dedicated work. It's like everyone else on CO.. they are part of the "family" too and this guy was glad to have the chance to work with our group.

So get to know the guys pumping out the blue rooms or handing out TP early in the morning and look for 'em in the evening to buy 'em their drinks. They work hard for us!
upsrider

Postby checkered_demon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:21 pm

....Siss-boom-bah- that's the sound a sheep makes when it explodes. After I saw a guy puking next to his tent the afternoon of day 2, and overhearing tales of intestinal travail in the food and blue room lines, I thought something nasty was brewing. From then on, I didn't take any of the fresh and tasty fruit and grapes at the rest stops,sticking to the packaged food. Kudos to the kitchen crew and RR for taking steps to mitigate the spread of the bug.

The Checkered Demon
checkered_demon

Postby D/CUTTER » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:17 pm

i think it was the boiled eggs at the rest stops!
everyone came out of a blue room and grabbed a egge out of an open bowl and dipped them in acommon salt and pepper cup!
D/CUTTER

Postby Tender Chunks » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:32 pm

This year I didn't eat any eggs, but still got the crud. I was thinking about the water stations. Lots of times you are doing your routine to get out of camp in the morning, or stopping at aid stations, and one can imagine lots of hands touching those spigots. Maybe next year we should have Water Bottle Butlers stationed by each one.

"Excuse me, Jeeves, but could you top me off, there?"
"Certainly, sir. There you are. I took the liberty of sanitizing your waterbottle first, and might I interest you in one of these canapes for the road? Tally ho, sir."
Tender Chunks

Postby riding2live » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:43 am

You know, my wife always told me "you don't know how to dance." Well, I proved her wrong when I got home from the ride. I was doing the "Jefferson Two-Step" no stop for 24 hours, like one of those dance marathons.

Wasn't the eggs, I didn't have any. Wasn't the beer, didn't have any. Possibly grapes, had those, or melons. Pretty much puts it down to bluerooms, wash stations, showers, chow lines (everyone using same serving utensils), SAG vans (prob not-they cleaned 'em, I think!!). Or just everyday contact with one another. I tried holding my breath the whole ride but casn't able to do that, I started turning blue and that's not my color. What else was there? Hmmmmm!!

At this point it's all over so not too interested (until next years ride). I'm bringing 3 or 4 small bottles of hand sanitizer and use it frequently.
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby R-3 fan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Most likely was the salad at dinner or the tomatoes at lunch. Fresh greens are one of the most common noro-virus agents. Of course proper hand washing is essential.
I am with you on the filling stations. Saw people letting their dogs lick the bottle filling faucets. I wonder if they are cleaned ever.
R-3 fan

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:06 pm

R-3 fan wrote:.....Saw people letting their dogs lick the bottle filling faucets. I wonder if they are cleaned ever.

O.....M....G.... I will be remembering that the next time and wondering if I should find an alternative to fill my bottles...
:shock:
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Next

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19