"Jefferson Two-Step" (Norovirus) heads up

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: "Jefferson Two-Step" (Norovirus) heads up

Postby upsrider » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:27 am

Well, we don't get a choice about who preceded us to the water spigot, but I'd take dog lips over unwashed hands directly from the blue room!
upsrider

Postby slv0700 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:55 pm

This was not from any food anyone ate.....someone probably brought in the
virus and with everyone using the bluerooms, what a perfect way to pass
it to lots of people ! Then being crunched together for breakfast and dinner......hello, contact ! Let's not get too crazy here.
slv0700

Postby grin4joy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:45 pm

I just received my lab results from the Oregon State Health Department. It was indeed a Norovirus. The public health nurse said those who were affected will most likely have immunity for 6 months to 1 year before they can become infected again. In situations such as ours it it usually starts from an infected food worker and then as people get sick and share facilities it quickly passes around. So, there you have it!
grin4joy

Postby Jackson » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:58 pm

I heard that a rider who wasn't feeling well before the ride decided to stay and became ill the next day. By day 2, it started making it's trek around camp.
Jackson

Postby slv0700 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:40 pm

That sounds more like it.....someone brought it to the ride and there
it went ! Maybe I will bring my own seat covers !
slv0700

Postby Red Zinger » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Matt and I volunteered this year. We both worked around the dining tents at breakfast and dinner most days, and had close contact with people, food, and eating utensils, plates, etc. Neither of us got sick, which we appreciated! We did wash our hands frequently, especially since we were working around other people and their food.

We heard that the norovirus (or something similar) was going around in northern California before we got there. Maybe it just hopped on Cycle Oregon and came along for the ride.

Another thing we heard was that the site food service vendor underwent an inspection at some point, and the inspector was heard to say that if all vendors complied with regulations as effectively as our food service, he would be out of a job. Working so closely with the food service people, we could see that they were good, but it was still nice to hear that the company received an excellent rating.
Red Zinger
Red Zinger

Postby slv0700 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:08 pm

EXCELLENT NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
slv0700

Previous

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19