What are you doing this winter?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

What are you doing this winter?

Postby SummerBreeze » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:24 am

Wondering how other folks are keeping/adding to their fitness through the winter? (this forum has been far too quiet lately!)
SummerBreeze

Re: What are you doing this winter?

Postby grin4joy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Good question Summer, I have become a potato and am breaking in the couch. I know it's pathetic, but dang I love being lazy! I'm trying to work up some enthusiasm to head back to the gym. How about you?
grin4joy

Postby Force 5 Robert » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:13 pm

I am hitting the P90X workout DVD's like my life depends on it - and focusing on the cardio portions in particular.
:D
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby riding2live » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:12 pm

I've worn the couch out and think I'm growing eyes all over my body, just like a potato. I think I've rested up enough from "THAT RIDE" I took in September so it's time to get back on track. For the winter I think it'll be about an hour of lap swimming three days a week and working out on my weight machine four days a week. Maybe on a NICE day I'll even sneak in a ride here and there. Also, will put in some work time on the Bowflex Tread Climber in my home "gym." That oughta keep me out of trouble. Just have to figure out what to do with myself the other 23 hours of the day. Get a JOB??? NOT!!!!!!
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby David R » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:28 pm

I've been doing cyclocross, this way i'm not hampered by the rain. It's also great for delveloping bike handeling skills
David R

Postby DWM » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:42 pm

I bought a "winter" road bike a few years ago. I don't like to run, I swim like a rock and I don't like to subject my good bike to the abuse of wet and dirty roads. So $500 later, throw on some fenders and lights and now I ride 3-4 times week all winter. When the days are short, I bring my bike to the office and ride for one hour mid-day and work late to make up the time. Then I'll ride 2-3 hours each weekend day.

Prior to the winter bike acquistion, potatoe chip eating was my only winter exercise and now I start each spring ride season with at least a protion of the conditioning I worked so hard to get the year previous.

Stay safe everyone!

DWM
Langley BC
Canada(eh!)
DWM

Postby Chuck B. » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Trainer and weight bench. Soon. I promise...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby SummerBreeze » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi Joy! Hey, we're almost neighbors; off that couch with you and let's go for a ride! I been having fun with my new gym membership. So far it's Pilates once a week and spin once or twice too (learning to pedal standing up, what a concept!) I ride my 'winter' bike to work and back a couple of times a week, and try to get in a run or two, although my knees don't like that much anymore. Just keep hoping for more weekends with at least one nice day to go for a good long ride; so far it's been working. Wanna be ready for next year, where ever we're riding.
SummerBreeze

Postby Tender Chunks » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:53 pm

Rowing on the Concept2 machine. Fantasizing I'm on a Maine lake with no 'skeeters. Now that is a big fantasy. Row on. Watching movies with wireless headphones helps. No insect repellant required.
Tender Chunks

Postby Chuck B. » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:42 am

Chuck B. wrote:Trainer and weight bench. Soon. I promise...

Got my trainer back from the warranty work yesterday, did 45 minutes last night. Still haven't been back to the weight bench yet, though... :D
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby SummerBreeze » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:07 pm

My plans so far include at one or two cycling class and a Pilates class at the gym each week, two evening runs and at least one ride to work and back every week. Have already lost a couple of pounds; hoping to lose a couple more by next spring. Don't want to lug all those extra pounds up the hills. I bought a trainer last year, but it's way more fun to work out with other people, so it's just sitting in the corner. Hoping to squeak in some long rides on the weekends -- we've sure had some good luck with the weather lately!
SummerBreeze

Return to 2009 Week Ride - September 12-19