Routes?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Routes?

Postby Force 5 Robert » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:37 pm

Well,

Anyone familiar with the roads for the weekend routes? I am hoping to do this ride (might not make the week ride this year) and I would like to bring my oldest who will be 10. Could be a fun weekend as long as its not like riding on a busy freeway all of the time.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Re: Routes?

Postby chckan50 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:04 pm

I haven't done an in depth study but my experience with this area is that all rides are just beautiful. There are times when there is not much shoulder but traffic is not bad. I have yet to have a bad ride in the valley. I think a ten year old would do quite well.
chckan50

Postby mytrot » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:19 pm

I live in Albany which is just SE of Monmouth. The day 2 routes are all pretty good with not a lot of traffic. Day one may have a little more but it is good riding. With proper monitoring it should not be a problem with a CO route.
mytrot

Postby Sandra » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:10 pm

The 1st days ride comes into my area McMinnville and this
route is not hard. Very nice ride.
Sandra

Postby Force 5 Robert » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:49 pm

Well after looking at google earth long and hard I think these should be some good rides. I am on the fence about trying to obtain a recumbent tandem for my daughter and I or letting her go solo on her own bike and me on my 'bent. I know on a tandem we could put more miles in... but then again for her first CO type ride I am not sure it should be about completing the longest mileage loops...

I guess my main concern is with traffic - but like was mentioned it seems it will be minimal. She rode last year on the Portland Bridge Pedal and if you can safely ride that fiasco of an organized ride (what with people passing like shooting comets left AND right) you can safely ride CO.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Sandra » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:52 pm

Wait and see if North Valley Rd is going to be on the route for day 1. That has some short, steep climbs and your daughter may not like them.
Also if they go up and over on Bethel Rd from hwy 99 which will take you to North Valley, only like 6% but longer. Hwy 99 has a shoulder, but the rest don't. If they cross the hwy in Hopewell and go up Webfoot, country rd. and no traffic there. Traffic would be low on 1st day, other then hwy 99 and that's easy with the shoulder. Don't know about the 2nd day. I think you would both enjoy the tandem for this ride.
Sandra

Return to 2009 Weekend Ride - July 17-19